Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: battlefield Birmingham 5 40k tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Yeah get what you mean.

Did you use the large blast on the Tide much? If not, you would be surprised how well my Burstide has been doing against armour on the Nova (yes, the one that one shotted a landraider turn one, his claim to fame! Tongue), so that might be worth considering? 215 Pts with a velocity tracker and EWO.
I used the blast loads to be honest, over charging for str 8 with a re roll from prescience was deadly! Been tempted a few times with a burst cannon but ive built the model now haha
Lol, fair enough.

My only other Tau suggestion would be missilesides then?
I would go Ion on the Riptides unless its Earthcast, basically compulsory 3+ Nova over a 5 turn, 5 game tournament it's just way too unreliable!

I didn't face a single flyer at Cale! Only 3 FMCs of which the Skyrays were great, but only on mass… I had to unload 2 full Skyrays to take 3 wounds of a Hive Tyrant without Iron arm or any buffs… that’s 3’s to hit and 2’s to kill! I don’t think one is enough, personally and it’s an easy firstblood/strike on it’s own… I mean you would have a Bomb, Riptide or Skyray to fire at, so worth a pot shot or 2 to take out the Skyray because first blood isn’t coming from anywhere else lol! I would also look at what my Skyray did (didn’t do) against your Storm Raven! As another example.

I'm really torn on what to do with the bomb... might even need to set up a list thread of its own... so many ideas I want float around. Shadowsun or not… is the main one! I was leaning towards not… but not sure now! lol

Looking at the meta of top table Cale, it was Gks, Necrons, Marines/Tau, 2x Beastpacks, Daemons and Nicks Marine/Tau and Tau, only Marine/Tau and Tau lists ignored cover… so not a massive amount… So Shadowsun that important against the other armies? The only games I dropped points on where the games I failed gate or my opponent rolled 6 5+’s in one single roll and then 9+ 2+ saves, followed by another fist full of 5+ inv saves… I did play against Nids twice and a Marine Biker list that made some crucial errors, but so did I… at times I did feel that having a constant 4+ cover against things like Ord bombards and Riptide fire…

BB is all about the primary mission… I won that in 3 games and drew in one game when massively on the back foot! The other was just brutal beating loss, nothing I could do…

Weapon load out… I’m thinking 4 double plasma, 1 double missile, 2 double fusion (2 suits or 1 and shadowsun) then farsight plus max gun drones.

The rest of the list… outflanking kroot just sucked big time… flopped in basically every game I outflanked, so game 4 and 5 they walked on bar 1 unit, 1 unit is more than enough… so I’m actually thinking 1x10 kroot to outflank and I think 2x10 Fire Warriors are better to sit back and contribute to the war effort if required… like if the bomb gets blown away early on I’m thinking 1x6 and 1x6 in devilfish if pts allow, along with the Scouts in Storm, which did well in pretty much all but 1 mission, where the Storm got blown out the sky leaving the scouts in the open lol!

Skyrays…. Skyrays… skyrays… really not sure what to think… they chipped in every game, with 18 str8 ap3 missiles, they’re bound too lol! I didn’t stick to the game plan of being aggressive with them and they did okay… turn1 or 2 unloading everything at range, then moving up field to help the bomb with markerlights, I think I need to be a bit more gutsy with them and chance the av13 armour more, giving marker light support earlier than turn3. They’re a unit that needs to be timed to perfection as they’re immobile if you want them to fire at full capacity, slow to chip away or move flat out to get into position… choices choice all the time…

So my list… am thinking… stick with the bomb I took, swapping loth or Tig… FW was massively frond upon by all my opponents, all of them made a comment or two in the case of Chris who pointed it out through the game lol.

Farsight – 165
Buffcommander – DC, VRT, MSS, C&C, PEN, Irid, Stim, 2xGD – 212
7 Battlesuits all target locks, 2xGD each and double weapons as above – 637
1x10 Kroot, hound – 65
2x6 Fire Warriors – 108
3x Skyrays with blacksun –
Tig – 165
5 Scouts in storm – 100

Leaves me with 50pts

From the previous list I’ve swapped Kroot for Warriors and Loth for Tig, the Buff Commander now has FnP for laughs I even have 50pts to play with… which doesn’t mean a fat lot… maybe Marines with combi-weapon in a Rhino over Scouts in a Storm??

Dropping Stim from the Commander this gives me 65… another kroot unit?? Or drop a Skyray and that’s 180.. then dropping Irid armour from the Commander and that’s 205… gives me a Storm Raven… an option (how was yours Nick?)

Or another direction?

Keeping with Bomb, Tig and troops… this is: 1452pts

Leaving 398pts to play with… I’m thinking a cheeky Dev Centurion squad… 3 Man with Coteaz allies… 3 with Missiles and Gravs are 290, Coteaz is 100… 390pts… lol, could drop the hound from the kroot and add in a Omniscope and spend the 2/3pts on a Jammer in the Bomb… lol

So I have 3 options… (please chip in with your own!)

3 Skyrays
Drop a few tricks for 2 Skyrays and a Storm Raven
Or
3 Dev Centurions with Gravs + Missiles and Coteaz

What do you think??
Could also drop a shield gen on your buffmander for 2+ 4++ 5+FNP?

Stick him at the front like i did, then as soon as down to 1 wound auto pass wounds around?
quick question for all people planning on going, can I ask who is driving and who is willing to be a driver for others?
willing to put money in the tank to help cover travel cost.
I'm slightly worried about facing robs list tomorrow....my fluffy built eldar will not last long
(20-01-2014, 08:36 PM)Cookie101 Wrote: [ -> ]quick question for all people planning on going, can I ask who is driving and who is willing to be a driver for others?
willing to put money in the tank to help cover travel cost.

Ill be driving buddy, only have a small car but would be happy to take people as long as its not massively out of my way Smile (I'm not a morning person and it starts early enough as it is lol)
As for your list rob I would maybe try what we were discussing with the team Belgium guy and drop the tau commander and add the chips and buffs to a few battle suits? Not looked at how you could build the list but it seems a good idea in principal.

If I'm honest my stormraven was the big under performer of the weekend, killing very little and crashing with my marines inside 2 games in a row obviously killing them. Might be worth you spending your points elsewhere....... 2 las, 1 grav centurion unit!
(20-01-2014, 09:34 PM)Nick1988 Wrote: [ -> ]As for your list rob I would maybe try what we were discussing with the team Belgium guy and drop the tau commander and add the chips and buffs to a few battle suits? Not looked at how you could build the list but it seems a good idea in principal.

If I'm honest my stormraven was the big under performer of the weekend, killing very little and crashing with my marines inside 2 games in a row obviously killing them. Might be worth you spending your points elsewhere....... 2 las, 1 grav centurion unit!
Thats how i ran my Farsight bomb to get shadowsun in when i ran it, only issue is a few presicion shots on guy with C&C node/MSS or PEN guy and they are dead. With Buffmander you can look out sir them those shots and your dones are hitting on 4+ rather than 2+'s.

Not saying its not worth considering, just weighing up pro's and cons.
Looks a little like this, give or take-
Farsight
Shadowsun
Body Guard 1 - Flamer, C&C Node, Multi Spec, DC 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 2 - Plasmax2, Target Lock, PEN, VRT, 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 3 - 2 Fusion Guns, Target Lock, 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 4 - 2 Fusion Guns, Target Lock, 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 5 - Plasmax2, Target Lock, 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 6 - Plasmax2,Target Lock, NWSJ 2 Gun Drones
Body Guard 7 - Plasmax2, Target Lock, 2 Gun Drones
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26