Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: battlefield Birmingham 5 40k tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Had a great day myself with 1 draw 1 win and 1 loss but no TABLING so am happy.
My list for the record:
Eldrad
Farseer - shard, jetbike, warding
Baron
4x3 Jetbikes
1x5 Warriors
6 Swooping Hawks
10 Warp Spiders
Wraithknight
Wraithknight

Game1:

I would be facing off against Dan Sackett and his beastpack (again), last time out at BB I against Dan and he tabled my game 1, he's also ranked the best Eldar and Dark Eldar player in the UK. So I would not be in a for an easy game!

Dans list:
Eldrad
Farseer - Shard, Jetbike
Baron
4x3 Jetbikes
1x5 Warriors
6 Swooping Hawks
Wraithknight
Wraithknight
Wraithknight

A mirror match basically, the only difference is that I had Warp Spiders and he had a 3rd Wraithknight.

Mission: Emperors Will and Dawn of War deployment, I won the roll for turn1 and took it,

My psychic powers: Eldrad: Doom, Fortune, Prescience and Invisibility
Farseer: had Invisibility, Prescience and Terrify.

Dan's Eldrad had Deathmission, Fortune, Invisibility and Terrify, his Farseer had Prescience, Missfortune? and Puppet Master. So we both had similar powers.

I had 2 choices in this game, go for it, risking everything to go for the win or play defensive and play for the draw, in the end I played for the draw and got it, by start of turn5 not even firstblood had been achieved! Dan played a bit better than me and was in a stronger position throughout the game, but I got a little lucky instant killing 2 Wraithknights with my two, then Dan killed one of mine (instant death) and then his Swooping Hawks then bombed the 4 scoring units on my objective, killing 1 unit.

I was extremely happy to end the game as a Draw, Dan did obtain linebreaker, so ended up winning 11-9 on tournament points.

So with a draw I was sitting mid table going into game2
Game2 against Paul Haycock

His list:

Warp Smith (glorified Techmarine)
3x10 Marines with Veterans of Long War, 1x2xFlamers, 1x2xPlasmaguns, 1x2xMeltaguns all in Rhinos
10 Cultists
Storm Eagle with 2xTL Lascannons, 1xMultimelta and Missiles, 2 shot Large Blast STR5 AP4
Vindicator
Predator 2xLascannons, Autocannon
5 Termiantors 5 combi-melta
3 Oblits

I must admit, I was feeling quite confident as long as I could roll fortune...

Mission: Scouring, Vanguard Strike

My Warlord was Scoring!

Powers: Eldrad: Deathmission, Doom, Mind War, Fortune
Farseer: Prescience, Hallucination, Shriek

Pretty much the perfect mission for me and pretty much a bread and butter list to play against.

I lost the roll for turn and was forced to go first, after deployment, I was within charged range of Pauls infiltrating Oblit squad, so the beastpack charged and killed those, the consolidated towards Pauls lines, Pauls shooting took a wound off a Wraithknight, I then charged all 3 Rhinos, was hoping to hit troops, but both Wraithknights failed to open up a single Rhino between them!

I killed all 3 Rhinos, then took a battering, losing about 10 Khymera and a Wraithknight, my turn3 and the Warp Spiders and Hawks come down taking out most of the Cultists and the Vindicator, the Wraithknight charges 10 Marines and the Beastpack charges 20, the Wraithknight kills most of a squad, but remains locked, the Beastpack takes out both Marine squads via combat res, I lose the Warrior squad to the flyer and the Hawks to the Warp Smith and Cultists.

My turn4, the Beast pack combi charges the Marines with the Wraithknight and the Terminators which had deep struck earlier, killing both units, then the Warp Spiders take out the Cultists and Warp Smith, I lose the Wraithknight at the Flyer goes into hover mode and the Pred pivots.

My turn5, Warp Spiders jump on an 3pt objective and Jetbikes and Beastpack jump on ALL the other objectives, then the Beastpack charges the Doomed hovering flyer, getting 4 pens for a tabling win to me!

BOOM! Big Grin

Was a bit worried going into my opponents turn2, but really, the Beastpack shrugs off SO much fire power with Fortune, I pretty much played the perfect game, bar a careless mistake after the combat turn2 with Rhinos picking up a dice I nudged my Wraithknight (well hitting it, I broke it's weapon off!), I didn't reposition it, leaving it out of cover... I asked to move it back, but rightly so and I couldn't argue really... he said NO access denied! lol, so my Wraithknight was removed from the table with no cover save lol.

Still a tabling win and I would shooting up the tables.
Game 3, some chump called Nick... no idea who he was......... (last BB we played game 3 as well! But would it be the same out come??? (a draw))

Nicks list:

Chapter Master on Bike with Shield Eternal (honestly forgot the eternal bit as I proudly said str10 hit... Nick was like... please tell me you know he's eternal warrior (my response was, yep, I knew that! LMAO!), Power Fist
Tig
Commander with most of the tricks... no shield or fnp
Coteaz
10 Marines (combat squaded)
5 Bikers
10 Kroot
4 Acolytes
Landraider
4 Dev Centurions 2 Grav, 2 Las, 4 Missiles

Mission: Big Guns (4 objectives), Hammer and Anvil

Powers:
Eldrad: Deathmission, Fortune, Scriers Gaze, Missfortune.
Farseer: Prescience, Guide, Terrify

Tig: Missfortune.. don't remember the rest...
Coteaz: Prescience? and 4+ Inv

Nick won the roll for turn1 and gave it to me

So I set up on the 24" line and ran at Nick, stringing back to Eldrad and Farseer, with the Barron out front... a Wraithknight putting a wound on the Chapter Master.

Nick moved up and took out a Wraithknight with Las and Missiles before the Chap master hit Eldrad with a orb bombard... luckily Eldrad LoS the hits. Nicks deathstar then charged into combat and did little, Tig was reduced to 1 wound. Nick won the hit and run roll off and went backwards.

Turn2
I cast missfortune on the Deathstar it wasn't denied! Terrify was though. Warp Spiders come in from deep strike reserve and get smashed in the face by the Riptide... leaving 5, even with a 4+ cover save.. The Pack moved up and charged the Deathstar with about 85-90 attacks causing 30 wounds?? In the end 1 centurion and a commander on 1 wound was left. Nicks turn and the Riptide charges into the Beastpack, the Centurion is killed and the Commander, the Riptide is reduced to 3 wounds? oh and the Bikes came on to kill the Warp Spiders.. well they left 1, who ran away for the rest of the game. I fail to get out of combat with the Riptide...

Turn3
Missfortune the Riptide, who survives combat, I totally forget to shoot the Wraithknight at the landraider...

Nicks turn and the Bikes join Coteaz and 5 marines jump out the Landraider, they all charge the Beastpack, but not before the Landraider immobilises itself on terrain.. Marines, Coteaz and the Bikes don't do that much, Coteaz tanks about 15 wounds not failing 1! The Riptide is killed and 3 Marines, the 2 left break and fall back (Coteaz passes to they escape).

Turn4
The Bikes and Coteaz are missfortuned and Coteaz is left by the end on 1 wound, the Wraithknight charges the Landraider and it's reduced to 1 HP. I don't both to hit and run.

Nicks turn and the Kroot arrive in Nick deployment zone and 5 Marines jump out the Landraider, the Wraithknight fails to punch the Landraider to death, Coteaz is taken out by the Beastpack.

Turn5
Missfortune goes on the 5 Marines, then a multi charge of the Beastpack hits the Acolytes, 2 Marines and 5 Marines. But not before the Swooping Hawks come down from reserve and take out the Kroot and the Jetbike units which had been moving up most of the game jump onto 3 of the 4 objectives... it's down to the Wraithknight to get the 4th... which he does after finally killing the Landraider. The Beastpack kill all the Marines and Acolytes for a tabling win!

I played kinda careless... forgetting to fire the Wraithknight into the Landraider a prime example, hit and running the direction I could never really escape combat from and even that Shield Eternal would give Eternal warrior...

However I was really happy with the result!

So at the end of day1 I'm on 1 Draw and 2 Tabling max VP wins Big Grin

Looking for 1 more win today!
OK here are my day 1 reports, sorry for the long post(!):

Game 1:
Adam Ryland (Daemon flying circus); Two objectives, Dawn of war

So my first time ever facing Daemons and people tell me I’m playing the best Daemon player around at the moment…. He wins roll for first turn and reserves a unit of 10 plaguebearers and a unit of 10 horrors for deepstrike, deploying everything else: Fateweaver, 3 flying tzeentch daemon princes at the back, and a herald with some screamers at the front. I deploy opposite, reserving two bike units to come on normally. I scout forward, fail to seize and he goes first.

Turn 1: Adam has a pretty terrible first turn, killing one bike I think through a combination of multiple perils and bad to wound rolls. His Flying MC’s are all flying on top of ruins or impassable buildings so I won’t be able to charge them  I charge the screamers with my large bike unit and kill everything except the herald who is on one wound – pretty perfect for me as he can’t shoot that unit now.

Turn 2: He gets both units from reserve and the horrors which deepstrike – his plaguebearers scatter away from his objective. Shooting I think he reduces the Black knight command to 2 models and wipes an attack bike and a 3 man unit. His herald perils and kills himself! I get both my units from reserve, the flamer bikes annihilate the horrors, the big squad shoots fateweaver but only do two wounds and can’t charge him. Rest of my shooting is pretty ineffective.

Turn 3: He flies off the board with fateweaver and two of the MCs, one of which is only on one wound – I made a mistake here and should have finished this one off turn 2 instead of going after fateweaver. Remaining MC kills another attack bike and vector strikes kill three black knights and the rest of the command squad. I go after the plaguebearers with my big squad and kill 6 with long range plasma.

Turn 4 and five, his MCs finish off all my troops except the tac squad whose Rhino is blown up. The black knight unit is killed (were 2 left and the chaplain after turn 4) after I split azzy off to join my last remaining troop unit on my objective. I still don’t manage to kill a daemon prince who never fails a grounding check! The Chapter master turboes into his deployment zone. At this stage my objective is contested by two DPs, his last plaguebearer is still 6” away from his and we both have linbreaker. I need a 1 or a 2 for a draw and it’s a 3…

Turn 6: Psychic screams, misfortune, enfeeble and flickering fire annihilate the remaining dark angels, although it takes combat to finish off the chapter master and azrael goes down last. Epic!

Game 2: Thomas (Space Wolves) Vanguard strike, the scouring

2x3 thunderwolves, various weapons. Wolf lord on thunderwolf with storm shield and frost axe. Runepriest, 2x5 long fangs with missiles, las and plasma cannons. 3 x10 grey hunters with double plasma and an attached wolf guard with powerfist, a vindicator.

He deploys his entire army across his deployment zone. I reserve a few attack bikes and bike units. I go first and scout everything to the centre trying to avoid the vindy and thunderwolves with my smaller units.

Turn 1: I kill 8 grey hunters with plasma, his shots kill one black knight and glance the Rhino.

Turn 2: I multicharge a unit of long fangs, a full grey hunter squad and the survivors of the first one with the big unit, who wipe them all! The smaller squad charge and win combat vs the 3rd grey hunter squad but lose two so they are down to two models. I fail to blow up the vindy with an outflanking attack bike. His turn he fires the vindy at the big unit and the CMaster tanks like a boss. His lord and thunderwolves wipe a three man bike squad. My command kills the powerfist wolf guard and the remaining 2 grey hunters run.

Turn 3: I charge the big squad, who are trailing across the board at the mo with azzy far behind, into the wolf lord and co, wiping them with the help of a rad grenade and the CMaster powerfist. The lone apothecary ruthlessly guns down the last two grey hunters. His rune priest kills the Chaplain with Jaws and a vindicator point blank splats a black knight.

Turn 4: I shoot and kill 2 thunderwolves and charge the last with some cocky ravenwing (3man squad) who get lucky and kill him while he fluffs his attacks. The big squad multicharge the runepriest and long fangs, and the vindy and kill all but two long fangs, who die on his turn in combat, so a good win for me Smile

Game 3: Ahley? (space wolves and grey knight allies)

He has something like: 3 runepriests, 1 is warlord, all with Jaws (gulp!), 3 x 5 grey hunters in drop pods, 5 long fangs with missiles and lascannons, a dreadknight with personal teleporter and incinerator, coteaz, 2 x 3 henchmen in psybolt razorbacks, an aegis defence line with quad gun.

I win roll but give him first turn. He deploys the grey knight contingent on one side with cotez on the quad gun and the long fangs high up in a ruin. I scout forwards but reserve the command an attack bike a 3 man flamer squad and a 3 man melta squad all of which outflank. Azrael went in the Rhino with the 5 tacs (Whoops! This is actually illegal as it’s an allied rhino but I didn’t realise until he pointed it out at the end of the game – he hadn’t noticed till turn3, I would have put azrael with the outflanking command to keep him out of danger of jaws if I’d known).

Turn 1: two pods come down near my big squad and two jaws powers are cast. I deny the witch with one but the other gets through, 2 black knights are removed (chaplain rolled a 5 so has a narrow escape) and the shooting from the grey hunters removes another 3, and kills an attack bike. The grey knight shooting does nothing as the CM tanks it. Long fangs wound an attack bike who is lucky not to die. His dreadknight charges and does nothing even though it has a nemesis greatsword as the CM takes all the hits. Dreadknight gets punched in the face with a powerfist and a load of pointy hammers and dies Smile My turn 1 I kill one priest with melta, and the other plus half his squad with the black knight plasma, but the survivors run away and I fail my charge. The attack bike beats a hasty retreat behind some buildings.

Turn 2: His second pod comes down, jaws kills the chapter master who rolls a 6! But the chaplain survives again. Shooting takes two wounds off the chaplain, while the quad gun kills one black knight. Long fangs fail to hurt the rhino. I rad grenade the runepriest and friends then plasma the whole unit with the black knights and the cannon from the rhino, his warlord is instant killed. The command squad comes in on the right and removes a grey hunter unit with plasma, and an attack bike destroys the weapon on a razor back. A 3 man melta squad destroys the other razorbacks weapon and charges, blowing up the tank.

Turn 3: He can’t win really now, stormraven still fails to come in, shooting kills one biker. My flamer bikes come in and kill 3 grey hunters with a 4th being removed by the command squad.

Turns 4, 5 and 6: Mopping up, the black knights kill off the remaining grey hunters and cause the stormraven to jink who saves two pens. Coteaz is killed by black knights, drop pods are destroyed by melta and some more plasma and the acolytes are killed by an attack bike and a single biker. The last long fang dies and finally the stormraven is destroyed by hammers after it went into hover.

So another tabling win and I’m pretty happy end of day 1 – on 41 tournament points out of a possible 60.
sounds like you are doing well guys!
Another good day Smile first game I got a tabling win. Second game I played Rob again (which we were both a bit annoyed about) which was another tabling loss for me. Super lucky first turn but I still don't think I could have won. Apart from Rob knowing exactly how to play his list, it's like cryptonite for mine so I can't really complain.

Overall had another great weekend but not happy with my new list AT ALL (exept maybe coteaz who was awesome!). Didn't stick around for the results as I wanted to catch the second half of the football! How did everyone do?
So day2, typed out on my phone....

Game4
Space wolves, 3 jaws rune priests 7 drop pods, Eldrad gets f all powers, farseer gets fortune prescience, I go first, fortune up, he lands I deny to jaws, 3rd gets through to shard farseer, he dies... And also the wraithknight behind... I fail 4+ reroll to deny and roll 2 6s on my initiative trests.. I don't get tabled and get linebreaker... Looking back he only beats me by 2kps... Which sucks...but mike was a great opponent and went on to win the event...

Game5 against nick as hes already posted the result, basically the same as our previous game, we're in combat turn 1 until turn5... Nick does deny 3 misfortunes... But eventually fails 1 and table him... Poor match up for Nick, we tried our best to change, even argued with Harry... But he was having none of it... Shame, but I will take my 20pts and finish 9th!! Big Grin

So I met my expectations and I've found the list I want moving onwards to war of the roses and the team event!!
w-1 d-1 l-3 overall position 46th out of 58 so more than happy with my first tournament though did get tabled by a Tyranids player.
Great stuff everyone.

and great work on the win Kev! always good walking away with at least one win!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26