Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: 500 Pt escalation Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
What about make the serpent shield a 25pts upgrade you have to buy to have?
While a nice idea, can get a bit complicated. JJ doesn't even fire his (at least in my game) so might not even be needed. Whats your thoughts JJ? Are you running Serpents Ben?
Serpents are good, but not that good.

Shields are great until you roll that 1 or 2 when they need to gun something down thats about to charge them.. At 500pts, JJ and Ben (if he takes a serpent) will gun down infantry with ease, but will no answer to Vinces Sang Guard and will struggle to hurt a Hive Tyrant.

Serpents are awesome when you can take enough of them or can protect them from combat/mass shooting. Anything that can strip HPs or assault them quickly will deal with them with ease.
Gotcha. To be fair, I haven't actually played against them - just heard people moaning. When you put it like that, TL Brainleech Devourers should cope. Sorted :-)
(30-01-2015, 12:39 PM)Embolden Wrote: [ -> ]Serpents are good, but not that good.

Shields are great until you roll that 1 or 2 when they need to gun something down thats about to charge them.. At 500pts, JJ and Ben (if he takes a serpent) will gun down infantry with ease, but will no answer to Vinces Sang Guard and will struggle to hurt a Hive Tyrant.

Serpents are awesome when you can take enough of them or can protect them from combat/mass shooting. Anything that can strip HPs or assault them quickly will deal with them with ease.
Cheers for the input Rob, was going to say i didn't struggle against them in my last game and with with boards being only 4'x4' should be easy to corner...
I think leaving them as is should be okay?
As i say don't want to needlessly comp things, the only reason i brought up FMC is once they are air borne it is a real struggle to hit them let alone wound.
For example my sang guard would have to drop within 12" to get in range, fire 10 shots, so 1.69 hits. Then they would need 6's to wound (S4 aginst T6) so 0.27 wounds.
Then next turn after the more than likely event that i do nothing to it, it can go upto 24" away, vector strike on the way and is immune to charges while airborne!
(30-01-2015, 12:48 PM)Dedwoods42 Wrote: [ -> ]Gotcha. To be fair, I haven't actually played against them - just heard people moaning. When you put it like that, TL Brainleech Devourers should cope. Sorted :-)

I've faced Nids many times, Electro Grubs are awesome as they cannot jink the template haywire hit and if the opponent is clumsy/careless/forgets you can catch multiple targets and 6 twin linked str6 Shots also stands a solid chance of causing a glance or two.

They have bad rep, but judge it after playing it, usually you hear the horror stories but the reality is much different.

When Vince allows your Tyrants to fly, you will be laughing as they flamer and shoot at will! While the Serpent player desperately tries to play the objectives... Undecided
(30-01-2015, 12:52 PM)manrogue Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-01-2015, 12:39 PM)Embolden Wrote: [ -> ]Serpents are good, but not that good.

Cheers for the input Rob, was going to say i didn't struggle against them in my last game and with with boards being only 4'x4' should be easy to corner...
I think leaving them as is should be okay?
As i say don't want to needlessly comp things, the only reason i brought up FMC is once they are air borne it is a real struggle to hit them let alone wound.
For example my sang guard would have to drop within 12" to get in range, fire 10 shots, so 1.69 hits. Then they would need 6's to wound (S4 aginst T6) so 0.27 wounds.
Then next turn after the more than likely event that i do nothing to it, it can go upto 24" away and is immune to charges while airborne!

Sounds fair enough to me - FMCs (Flyrants in particular) are a right pain - more than happy to just jump mine with some Gargoyles until 1000pts. Can even include that in the narrative - something about needing to recover from shredded wings ;-)
(30-01-2015, 12:48 PM)Dedwoods42 Wrote: [ -> ]Gotcha. To be fair, I haven't actually played against them - just heard people moaning. When you put it like that, TL Brainleech Devourers should cope. Sorted :-)
Not just that, remember you can declare a charge against them and they can't overwatch you as vehicles, making declaring a charge risk free.

Ignore my moaning about serpents, i'm just jealous Tau don't have a transport as good lol.
(30-01-2015, 01:00 PM)manrogue Wrote: [ -> ]Not just that, remember you can declare a charge against them and they can't overwatch you as vehicles, making declaring a charge risk free.

Ignore my moaning about serpents, i'm just jealous Tau don't have a transport as good lol.

I hadn't even considered that, you know. Even a Dakka Tyrant will still put out 5 S6 WS8 hits on the charge - which after 12 TL S6 shots beforehand should be fine... Not sure why people on The Tyranid Hive moan about them so much - although I guess if you're up against 4 all playing TL shennanigans with the Shield hits and ignoring Venom/Malanthrope cover it would be frustrating.
In fact, this should be good fun :-)
(30-01-2015, 12:54 PM)Embolden Wrote: [ -> ]

I've faced Nids many times, Electro Grubs are awesome as they cannot jink the template haywire hit and if the opponent is clumsy/careless/forgets you can catch multiple targets and 6 twin linked str6 Shots also stands a solid chance of causing a glance or two.

They have bad rep, but judge it after playing it, usually you hear the horror stories but the reality is much different.

When Vince allows your Tyrants to fly, you will be laughing as they flamer and shoot at will! While the Serpent player desperately tries to play the objectives... Undecided

That's a good point. I haven't got e-grubs in a 500 at the mo but I can drop a pair of Gants to manage it - may well do that!
I look forward to this point ;-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31