Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: 500 Pt escalation Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
(30-01-2015, 01:08 PM)Dedwoods42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-01-2015, 01:00 PM)manrogue Wrote: [ -> ]Not just that, remember you can declare a charge against them and they can't overwatch you as vehicles, making declaring a charge risk free.

Ignore my moaning about serpents, i'm just jealous Tau don't have a transport as good lol.

I hadn't even considered that, you know. Even a Dakka Tyrant will still put out 5 S6 WS8 hits on the charge - which after 12 TL S6 shots beforehand should be fine... Not sure why people on The Tyranid Hive moan about them so much - although I guess if you're up against 4 all playing TL shennanigans with the Shield hits and ignoring Venom/Malanthrope cover it would be frustrating.
In fact, this should be good fun :-)
Its more if you face loads of them and they out range you, then they roll well for number of shots. At 36" it can put out 4 TL Scatter laser shots, only need one hit for serpent shield to TL and then its 1 + D6 TL S7 shots.
Yep, as you'll be jumping around allows you to corner a serpent, just go mid board and there is no where for it to go. 12" jump towards it shoot and then declare a charge even if its 12" away, nowhere it can go out of range lol. And don't forget your a monstrous creature so AP2 hits in CC.
Good shout!

Cheers for the advice everyone - it's nice to get a bit of help!
I think as a Chaos player I will just need to hide until they move close to flush me out and then hope my 3 melta guns can finish them in one go Smile
(30-01-2015, 01:23 PM)Dedwoods42 Wrote: [ -> ]Good shout!

its what we're here for bud! Big Grin
(30-01-2015, 01:28 PM)aprilmanha Wrote: [ -> ]I think as a Chaos player I will just need to hide until they move close to flush me out and then hope my 3 melta guns can finish them in one go Smile

Failing that, Obliterators Big Grin
I don't think any obliterator would last long enough to kill a Wave Serpent with only one shot a turn Tongue
Even with 3 they would have to get perfect rolls to wreck one in a turn. Assuming they don't jink Big Grin

It would never survive the return fire, particularly if there are more than one wave serpent!
(30-01-2015, 02:06 PM)aprilmanha Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think any obliterator would last long enough to kill a Wave Serpent with only one shot a turn Tongue
Even with 3 they would have to get perfect rolls to wreck one in a turn. Assuming they don't jink Big Grin

It would never survive the return fire, particularly if there are more than one wave serpent!

A pair of MoN Oblits in cover - especially with some cultists stood in front of them - have got a solid chance of crippling if not destroying one. Two may be a problem... High S weapon options (Lascannons, Melta) are pretty much pointless as Serpent Shield will just negate pens. Assault Cannons, on the other hand... 8 S6 Rending shots are glance-central - exactly what you want Smile If needs be the Oblit Power Fists will be a solid chance to knock off a HP or two in desperation.
Another plan is DS the Oblits behind it, AC the living daylights out of rear armour then the Serpent/s need to turn around and expose rear armour to the rest of your army to shoot back or face getting melta/plasma'd next turn Smile

FYI one wave serpent can and will kill a hive tyrant in one round of shooting if your not in the air. I know, its happened to me Sad If your in the air or you've forced a jink one serpent seems to be able to pretty consistently put a wound on a tyrant a turn. So my advice is if your using a tyrant keep him hidden for as long as possible!
Also bladestorm is a pretty annoying rule for our MC's so if your low on wounds or facing a lot of shrunken shots you'll want to jink.
I think electroshock grubs arn't a lot of use against serpents if you can't fly as by the time your in range to use them you'll be jinking a lot from their supporting units and unable to fire them! Might be fun if someone brings a dreadnaught and tries to charge your tyrant though and good against land raiders Big Grin
Just my advice from my limited experiance using a not particularly competitive list against serpents.Tongue
Cheers - oh he will be well hidden, don't worry about that ;-)
That's why I hadn't put EGrubs on initially - it also prevents you firing a set of TL Brainleech Devourers.
I'll mull it over, or play against myself and proxy one to see what happens Smile
(30-01-2015, 02:19 PM)will Wrote: [ -> ]

FYI one wave serpent can and will kill a hive tyrant in one round of shooting if your not in the air. I know, its happened to me Sad If your in the air or you've forced a jink one serpent seems to be able to pretty consistently put a wound on a tyrant a turn. So my advice is if your using a tyrant keep him hidden for as long as possible!
Also bladestorm is a pretty annoying rule for our MC's so if your low on wounds or facing a lot of shrunken shots you'll want to jink.
I think electroshock grubs arn't a lot of use against serpents if you can't fly as by the time your in range to use them you'll be jinking a lot from their supporting units and unable to fire them! Might be fun if someone brings a dreadnaught and tries to charge your tyrant though and good against land raiders Big Grin
Just my advice from my limited experiance using a not particularly competitive list against serpents.Tongue

As a Serpent user playing against Nids, Electro Grubs are fantastic.. they have a 84% chance to put a HP on a Serpent which it can do nothing against. Yep you forfit 6 STR6 shots, but they're not as likely to cause damage, Electro Grubs also stop Serpents from bunching up in corners away from your assault.

Flying Tyrants rarely need to jink in my experience, Serpents have no AP and the Supporting units are rarely twin linked, so aren't that much of a threat. Yes Bladestorm is a problem, but looking at the math.. 10 shots from 5 Dire Avengers needing 6's to hit and 6's to wound has a 0.2% chance of causing a wound through Bladestorm, 5 Fire Dragons have a slightly better chance at 0.6% chance of causing a wound.

So basically never jink against Eldar is what I'm trying to say, use cover to get your cover save (a toe dipped in terrain for even flying MCs is enough for a cover save).
Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31