Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Caledonian 2014 40k Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Gonna try my best Nick, bit of an experimental list though!
Lol, that's pretty awesome, should be top 10 by end of jan.

Should have said Vince, although I would have still gone missile pods for range and anti-tank.

Look forward to the challenge of robs list tomorrow, lots of tough target priority choices!
Nick just checked the Warhammer forum and your list is now listed as a Highlander! (plus correct)
Awesome Big Grin
Only have 22 guys to beat to get a prize now! Although a lot of good players have gone Highlander too! Ahh well! I was taking the lisy anyway so no harm done! Plus it says on the forum he has a plan to keep highlander lists from being smashed in round 1 so i might get an easy draw :p
Just heard a massive crack coming from the boot of my car! I cant bring myself to look but the last crack i heard lead to a stormraven being in 3 peices! The fear of facing Chris tonight it causing my models to take their own lives! Lol :p
Wish id had a few practise games before deciding on a list............. Hmmm
Ditto Nick, learnt a lot from the game last night!

Rob played really well and kept his head in the game as the Bomb smashed face! Well played! Smile

4 things really cost me...

1) which hurt bad, objective placement, I was thinking just place 2 objectives, 1 on either flank and then worry about Robs objectives later with the Bomb, I should have clustered my 2 objectives around 1 of Robs, as the kroot outflanked and bomb had board control and mobility (would have outflanked the Scouts as well), this would of allowed my outflanking troops to cluster in an area with Bomb protection and I think this would have changed the way I kinda had to play and why we have playtest games...

Lesson Learnt: Cluster the objectives on a flank, I think I will just sit on a couple of objectives going forwards.

2) Which ultimately cost me the game, I spread out my troops waaaay too much allowing them to get isolated and picked off as the bomb wasn't able to protect everyone... so was caught between a rock and hard place, I should have gone for 1 objective with the troops after my mistake above, Bomb to protect and clear that area (bottom left from my PoV).

Lesson Learnt: Concentrate on 1 or 2 objectives, not 4 troop choices on 4 objectives... it cannot be done.

3) turn3 I got way to excited and kinda made a mess of what I wanted to do, needed to take a step back, declare the missiles in 1 group of 5 warriors, plasma into the other, 2x2 fusions into the wraiths (just hoping to get lucky at that stage they didn't warant a lot of fire power) and then Farsight and Drones into the Nightscythe... but instead I just shot at the Wraiths and both Warrior units... leaving the drones.. but I hadn't declared what they were shooting at... like an idiot... so a long with the fusions had to fire into the 2 Wraiths... this then conspired into the Nightscythe flying across the table turn3, picking up troops turn4, getting shot down turn5, putting the warriors in reserve, they then walk onto an objective Robs turn5 and the game ends 1-0 to Rob. Damn!

What makes things worse is that I hadn't even marker lighted the Nightscthe with 2 Skyrays.. I just jumped the gun waaaay to early!

Lesson learnt: Learning to take a step back and not bet overwhelmed by the Bombs fire power! Have an order of play, Skyrays fire first with Markerlights and SMS/Missiles, then the Bomb...

4) Failing Gate turn1... this along with Rob making the right call in giving me turn1 left me up ***** creek really... as I was essentially a turn behind, along with the above my troops came on first so where basically taken out with me even seeing Robs.. so I was playing catch up, but going first... worst case scenario... hopefully thats the bad luck out the way with gating turn1, it was gonna happen at some stage.

Lesson Learnt: Don't roll double6 on gate turn1... :p

But on the plus side, the Bomb is deadly as hell! I think I got the spread of fire power just about right? Whatever they shot died bar 4 Wraiths turn2 (Wraithwing could be a problem, the Drones can remove a unit, but the rest of the squad cannot) so I never really over stretched with the bomb and failed... I think thats the key, taking out 3 or 4 units per turn over the course of a game many opponents lists cannot handle that!
Next weeks game is completely going to depend on what powers i roll! If i miss 4+ invun and FNP i might aswell not put any models on the table lol still bot sure how to deploy against the bomb to bw honest.

After my game last night i realised that white scar bikes are infinitly better than standard ones as they have scout and +1 jink lol definatly have to be a bit more cautious with mine!! Also finding out the riptides nova charge is ordinace NOT barrage (sorry Chris) is a massive knock back to my game plan against the more competitive lists Sad overall im happy(ish) with my list but think dropping the riptide and stormraven for more bikes and centurions might have been a better choice Confused
no worries Nick. Had a look myself and the white scars get +1 to jink and +1S to their hammer of wrath but they only get scout if Khan is with them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25