Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I'll reorganise my planned force and forego any Rohan so Luke can field them. I'll stick with Arnor and The Grey Company.
Ok Stu, by my reckoning the available viable factions left are the shire, wood elves, angular and Moria. If Luke is going for Rohan that leaves a place open for a tenth person to join his team with either shire or wood elves or just double Rohan if anyone is interested at the last minute.
I'm almost tempted to switch entirely to Wood Elves (a Lothlorien/Mirkwood force) if that doesn't mess things up too much - they might be a better compliment for JJ's Elves, and give me a few more options with the models I've acquired (given the absurd price of the better Arnor heroes!).
(09-03-2016, 11:18 AM)Stuart Wrote: [ -> ]I'm almost tempted to switch entirely to Wood Elves (a Lothlorien/Mirkwood force) if that doesn't mess things up too much - they might be a better compliment for JJ's Elves, and give me a few more options with the models I've acquired (given the absurd price of the better Arnor heroes!).

Absolutely fine, need to re-jig the map anyway to incorporate Luke.
This may or may not be relevant, but could be fun to see in the campaign.
The Saruman and Gandalf wizard battle!!! (if anyone's fielding them of course)

http://www.talesofmiddleearth.co.uk/Arti...7ab13ec934
A new thought for the campaign. Talking to Chris about the rules last night (Great to see some of the rules last night BTW) In particular about the Mumak possibly having a 2 turn suspension if killed - In theory I have no problem with this. The downer would be that it would only apply to the Mumak. Booooo!! Smile I completely understand why you would impose these rules. IT"S A MUMAK!!!!

However as we found out last night a Cave Troll (not even a beastly troll like Isengard or Mordor) Stomped all over Suladan 3-attacks 3-wounds, Quite a beast of a hero in hero terms, in 1 or 2 turns with power attacks.

My suggestion would be to imposes the 2 turn suspension to all Monsters rather than just the Mumak. (Felbeast, Trolls, Mumak.... etc)
What do you think?

The other option would not to have the 2 game suspension. Maybe just one? There is a reason why the Mumak is 275point basic - because it's killable (I won't out line the reasons here as I don't want to give away it's weaknesses) I would say it would be just as difficult to kill a troll chieftain.

My ultimate point being if it's classed as a monster, infantry, cavalry, hero etc... I think there needs to be rule for the categories/types of model rather than just the one type. Hope this all makes sense! Let me know your thoughts Smile
I see what you're saying Rob. I wouldn't want to impose that limit on trolls as they are a lot more common (and a lot easier to deal with - shoot it full of arrows or transfix it, or mighty strike it with a hero - I took a Mordor troll out in 1turn once with my dwarves as I just surrounded it and it didn't roll a 6) but I had a similar thought as to maybe the 2turn limit was a bit harsh, so will have a think but will prob limit it to miss a turn if killed. It's like a super heavy monster rather than a normal monster like a troll.

What I really don't want to see is a mumak dominating the campaign as it would really give an unfair advantage to harad, so it all depends on if the rules for the mumak are balanced and it's costed correctly. I have reservations with GW on this front due to 40K really, and have never actually played against a mumak so have no idea if it is balanced or not. If people are finding the mumak unkillable I'm reserving the right to nerf it's use, but similarly if it seems to be reasonable to deal with during the campaign I may lift restrictions on its use.

So main points: I hear you; I don't want people to get fed up playing against it; I really want to keep the campaign fun for all, but also fair.

Anybody not fielding a Mumak got any thoughts on this? Am I being overly cautious/paranoid?!
Actually thinking about it you could field just heroes and trolls. Hope no one is thinking of doing this, so this is just an appeal to keep your forces balanced please cos I don't want to have to think up loads of pinickity rules to stop people being silly!

Maybe max 1 monster per 250pts?
It was great to meet everyone yesterday. I'm definitely interested in playing the campaign. If someone could drop me a link to the army books/send me a PDF copy that would useful, then I can start sorting through my Rohan models.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet, will do so over the coming days, but one comment about custom rules for Non-named heroes stuck out. In one of the Battle for Middle Earth magazines I've got, they had some that may be able to serve as a basis. I'll dig the issue out, make some copies of the rules and bring it with me on Tuesday.

Luke
250 points per monster could work.

A point to remember - we're playing the 6 scenarios in the source books?? to the death, Hold ground etc.... the majority of these are control zone/check point based or capture the flag to get Victory Points. A monster in costly but only 1 model. So that side with the monster could lose horribly anyway. In VP terms that is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14