Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
OK had a look at the sourcebooks and the 9 ringwraiths are named as:
The Witch King; the dwimmerlaik; the tainted; the betrayer; the knight of umbar; khamul the easterling; the undying; the shadow lord; the dark marshal.

So updating what I said above:

For the sake of simplicity, the you may pick an unamed ringwraith if listed in your army list and they count as a generic hero. However, as per the campaign rules, once it survives a battle and rolls on the chart it's treated as a named hero and you'll need to name it, but you can't name it after one of the already named ringwraiths in the game (eg the tainted) - give it another name. This represents one of the ringwraiths just being known as something else, they are very shadowy figures and could easily be given different names in different places just like the maiar known in some places as gandalf.

Besides that, if it becomes a named hero, or any of the named ringwraiths are slain in game and then roll a 1, they are for all intents and purposes slain and you can't use them in the campaign again. In 'reality' they are not destroyed but their regeneration time is longer than the campaign lasts.

Regarding keeping track of all the ringwraiths, you may take any of the following as allowed by your army list: The Witch King; the dwimmerlaik; the tainted; the betrayer; the knight of umbar; khamul the easterling; the undying; the shadow lord; the dark marshal.

However once selected by someone, no one else can use that hero. As Angmar is not in the campaign this only concerns the betrayer, the knight of umbar (both of which can be taken by Harad or Mordor) or Khamul th eeasterling (can be taken by Easterlings or Mordor). I think it's fair to say Mordor can't pick these three for the campaign and they are reserved for Harad and the Easterlings respectively as Modor has all the rest to choose from. You OK with that Will?
(14-03-2016, 04:28 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: [ -> ]Snip
. You OK with that Will?

Yeah sounds fine to me. I currently only have the undying anyway but am planning on collecting a couple of the other nazgul as well in the future.
Great! Once 9 ringwraiths have been slain in the campaign (very very very unlikely...) then you can't take any more ringwraiths.

To stop people taking multiple ringwraiths in a single force to prevent others taking them (booo!) then there is a limit of no more than 2 ringwraiths per force at any one time. For example, Paul may take Khamul in one force on his team and Rob could take both the betrayer and the knight of umbar in the other force for his team. At the same time Will could take the undying and a generic ringwraith (maybe on a fell beast Smile )
(22-02-2016, 12:12 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: [ -> ]JJ - The campaign is set in the Third Age, probably just before the goings-on of The Hobbit. You can field Elrond but Gil-galad is dead, slain by the hand of Sauron himself on the slopes of Mount Doom at the end of the Second Age. However, you may use his rules to represent a High Lord of the Elves (whose name you can come up with, Fil-Falad maybe?!), from Rivendell or the Grey Havens etc who is not mentioned by name in Tolkeins books and is accompanying Elrond on his campaign. Alternatively you can use the model as an Elven Captain with a cool looking spear. I think you are the only one taking Elves so a mix of the two is fine.

Just on this point Chris, Can you clarify which Elven heroes are alive at this time, the ones I'm looking at, are the ones in the free peoples book:

Elrond - Yes
Gil-galad - No
Erestor? - Yes?
Cirdan? - Yes?
Elladan and Elrohir? - Unclear when they were born?
Arwen? - Unclear when she was born?
Glorfindel - Yes?
Gildor Inglorion - Unsure
Just Gil glad that's dead, all the rest are alive.
right, can someone spell it out for me, what force do i need to put together? what size? what heroes from the Free Peoples book can i or cant i use?

Oh and am i definitely able to use an ent?
(16-03-2016, 02:43 PM)Simian Wrote: [ -> ]right, can someone spell it out for me, what force do i need to put together? what size? what heroes from the Free Peoples book can i or cant i use?

Oh and am i definitely able to use an ent?

If you are fighting a battle with your team mate, the total pts is 500pts split beteween the two of you so 250pts for you, with a reasonable amount of leeway if one is a few points under the other can use those points. If you agree to fight separate battles then you need a 500pt list. During a campaign turn your team may be fighting 0, 1 or 2 battles, so you will need to decide between the two of you what to do. You will need to pm each other.

For example, you may only have one battle that turn and decide to team up to fight it so 250pts each. Alternatively one of you can't make it so the other agrees to fight it on their own and takes 500pts from their faction only eg just dwarves/Ents (Ben) or Gondor (Matt).

I have left it up to you so it is as flexible as possible.

You are allowed to use an ent. You may pick heroes from the Durins folk list and include an ent as a warrior with one of those warbands.

Hope that clears things up.
Guys just had a thought - anybody got any objections/ ammendments to the following additional rule:

Sustained victories will bring more troops to your banners:
3 victories = +50pts
5 Victories = +100pts
7 Victories = +150 pts
10 Victories = +200pts

As with reinforcements for controlling nodes, these points can be split between your two forces in chunks of 50pts and they are cumulative with the no. of nodes reinforcements. Max force sizes of 750pts.

Also I'm umming and ahhing about fixed defence forces of 500pts for each of the starting regions that can't move but fight if attacked and retreat if they lose. What do you think? Otherwise I can envisage someone winning lots of battles but having very few nodes as someone just chases behind their advance.

Also, I can forsee a few problems with the campaign map and set-up which I won't go into here cos they might not happen so just wanted to let you guys know that I may do a bit of 'GM'ing to keep the campaign flowing (for example, expanding the number of nodes on the map or unlocking some of the characters not yet seen such as gandalf, radagast for the good teams or the balrog, gulavhar the terror of arnor or spectres for the bad guys....).
I like the victories giving boosts to forces, gives a nice incentive to try and play games rather than just capturing nodes and moving to avoid playing games. As to the home defence would that not cause problems if a team has to play too many games in one month? Maybe allow armies to send a defence force to connected friendly nodes if they are not fighting a battle that campaign turn? Stops people from taking nodes and totally avoiding playing games by following an opponent army around as they conquer nodes, but don't end up in a position of a team playing lots of games in one go?
(16-03-2016, 05:53 PM)will Wrote: [ -> ]I like the victories giving boosts to forces, gives a nice incentive to try and play games rather than just capturing nodes and moving to avoid playing games. As to the home defence would that not cause problems if a team has to play too many games in one month? Maybe allow armies to send a defence force to connected friendly nodes if they are not fighting a battle that campaign turn? Stops people from taking nodes and totally avoiding playing games by following an opponent army around as they conquer nodes, but don't end up in a position of a team playing lots of games in one go?

Yeah I like that idea
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14