Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(09-03-2016, 11:18 AM)Stuart Wrote: [ -> ]I'm almost tempted to switch entirely to Wood Elves (a Lothlorien/Mirkwood force) if that doesn't mess things up too much - they might be a better compliment for JJ's Elves, and give me a few more options with the models I've acquired (given the absurd price of the better Arnor heroes!).

I like this idea Stu!
(09-03-2016, 10:47 PM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2016, 11:18 AM)Stuart Wrote: [ -> ]I'm almost tempted to switch entirely to Wood Elves (a Lothlorien/Mirkwood force) if that doesn't mess things up too much - they might be a better compliment for JJ's Elves, and give me a few more options with the models I've acquired (given the absurd price of the better Arnor heroes!).

I like this idea Stu!

Awwww. I wanted to be elves too. Lol. I've enough Legolas for everybody. (I am happy being Gondor!)
(09-03-2016, 06:42 PM)LukeR Wrote: [ -> ]It was great to meet everyone yesterday. I'm definitely interested in playing the campaign. If someone could drop me a link to the army books/send me a PDF copy that would useful, then I can start sorting through my Rohan models.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet, will do so over the coming days, but one comment about custom rules for Non-named heroes stuck out. In one of the Battle for Middle Earth magazines I've got, they had some that may be able to serve as a basis. I'll dig the issue out, make some copies of the rules and bring it with me on Tuesday.

Luke

Great to have you along Luke! I'll drop you a PM...
Chris/Rob et al,

How about this. Only one monster can be fielded in any army.

Monsters can only be replaced at a home base, they then have to travel to get to the frontline.

The cave troll / mumak (delete as appropriate) is dead, send for another. Then it takes a number of moves to get to where it's needed. (Maybe single models can move two spots a turn undetected? - to keep it simple.)

At the end of the day its a point based system, you get what you pay for. With exception of Rob perhaps, we have not played with Mumaks so we don't know if they are OP compared to their point cost. I am going to assume not.

This also means when you are attacking somewhere close to a 'home base' then the defenders can more easily draw on big defenders than the attackers. As an attacking army, maybe you don't want to commit your monsters too early in early battles.

Monsters are replaced with rank and file until the replacement can get there?
(10-03-2016, 04:51 PM)Agincourt Wrote: [ -> ]Monsters can only be replaced at a home base, they then have to travel to get to the frontline.

I quite like this aspect.

I agree, we don't know if the Mumak is over powered or not. Hmmm.. Would any one like to play against my Mumak to see if it's over powered or not (or if anyone else has a Mumak - I've heard rumours that someone may be getting one his Birthday!!! Big Grin ) I'm currently free for a game this week for a test run?
I don't like the idea of treating a troll the same as a mumak, as they are totally different, the reason for curtailing the mumak somewhat is because at 275pts it is over half your army and has 10wounds at d7 with an incredibly powerful trample attack. A troll is only 3 wounds and no trample attack. It's really the trample attack which is quite scary. Trolls can also run away if heir force breaks whereas the mumak on the other hand never runs away, the only thing you can do is kill it! However it can stampede and hurt your own ......

To avoid arguing endlessly, I will go with trusting the game designers and allow the mumak with no restrictions to keep things simple other than you can only have one in one of your armies for the sake of variety.

Your right Paul, it's a points based system so we'll see how it goes.
(10-03-2016, 05:15 PM)Rob Lainchbury Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard rumours that someone may be getting one his Birthday!!! Big Grin )

Cool
What are the rules on Ringwraiths? And/or named wraiths?

As ring wraiths can't die, but kinda come back over time. If a evil army takes a named wraith (which is still a ring wraith) and it dies in battle and rolls a 1 on the recover chart is it gone forever?? This would would be fair in the campaign rules for named hero's, but not for the story of LOTR!

Tricky one?!

My first thoughts were, If it dies (rolling 1 of the recover chart) then there would have to be a recharge time of a 3 game turns before you could bring it back (coming back on the 4th turn)? With an option of bringing it back sooner but at a M, W, F, restrictions. E.g bring it back with 2 games out but with 0M, 10W, 0F Etc...

This would count for all wraiths there being 9 at any one time so we'd need to keep a log of who's got what wraith?
For the sake of simplicity, the ringwraith counts as a generic hero. However, as per the campaign rules, once it survives a battle and rollson the chart it's treated as a named hero and you'll need to name it, but you can't name it after one of the already named ringwraiths in the game (eg the tainted).

Besides that, if it becomes a named hero, or any of the named ringwraiths are slain in game and then roll a 1, they are for all intents and purposes slain and you can't use them in the campaign again. In 'reality' they are not destroyed but their regeneration time is longer than the campaign lasts.

Regarding keeping track of all the ringwraiths, yep good point, do you know if they are all named game and what the names are? Obviously it only concerns you and Paul, and also my team as Will is Mordor.
Btw rules and map are up if anyone hasn't seen them yet:

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=2780
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14