Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Looks really good Chris, I like it. if you need any help with organising or anything feel free to ask.

My only suggestion would be maybe adding some kind of experience and injury system for non-named heroes. Make losing that experienced captain more painful. May be a bit difficult for you to do and you wanted to keep it simple so it's up to you really.

As for casualties could do a good old GW system roll for each one. maybe if you roll a four plus it misses the next game and on a six plus it dies. If you lost the scenario minus one to the roll so a three or four will miss the next game and a five ,six it's dead. Could do this with a D10 or D20 if you wanted to lower the chances of things dying. Not sure how practical it will be rolling for a large force would be though. And may want something different for heroes.
Maybe with the lager games (+500 points) the game ends when one of the teams breaks (50% losses).

I like the rolling for each model to see if they live or die after the battle. However it doesn't make much sense to do this if your roster can change between fights. Maybe this( the live or die roll) is important if you are in consecutive fight in the same node I.e defending the node maybe!? So if multiple army's attack your node then you may be at a disadvantage as you've just had a fight to defend the node.
Rather Than a certain percentage of your army going if you lose, I think it would be fairer to roll for each model. Maybe for the winning team, a roll of a 2+ the model saved. I would roll for might, will, fate and wounds as well for hero's. For the losing side 4+. There for its more based on dice rolls rather than stats.
Hey, hey! Looks great!

The only thing I would say is .... The few games I've had have been brutal! I can't imagine having many models left in my force after a couple of games. I like the idea of different sized games or maybe escalation to give people time to add or change their rosters and get mini's painted?

However, it is your idea and it looks super cool so I am really just happy to be involved!

Great stuff! For Gondor!
Looks great Chris, thanks for all the work you've put into this!

(27-02-2016, 09:38 PM)Brightblade Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I would say is .... The few games I've had have been brutal! I can't imagine having many models left in my force after a couple of games.

Yes, that occurred to me too - the attrition rate has been very high in the games over the last couple of weeks!
I must say Chris... Loving the map.
You've done a great job.
Thanks for the comments and the good feedback - will get my thinking cap on over the next few days.
Looking good Chris.

In a typical battle you 'have' to take at least 50% casualties to rout. So by default casualties are quite heavy. Question is how many are 'dead', how many are out for a turn, etc.
However, if encounters are storyline scenarios, then maybe can achieve scenario target without losing a man?

Another thought, If we stuck with warbands, even have named warbands, like Aragorn's rangers, or whatever, could we see them gain experience and skills, a bit like Necromunder, albeit maybe only an increase in strength or perhaps gain a fate? Maybe those surviving wounds lose a point of strength.

Dead would have to be replaced at a cost, and be green, maybe a point worse than regular troops...? So would require an income.

Just thinking outloud again...

So long as we are rolling dice and moving figures I don't mind
a quick query as im not 100% sure on how the rules work. can i use ents with a dwarf force??

and if so would anyone have an issue with me proxying in a waldgeist from malifaux?
something like this?
[Image: IMGP3048.JPG]
Paul, nice ideas and will ponder them. This would only work if the lists are fixed and I'm still unsure whether we will have fixed forces or just pts you can then pick whatever before each battle. I do like the idea of set warbands - maybe each army is 1000 pts so you write a list for that but then you only pick say 500to participate in the battle. This way you can rest warbands that take over 50% casualties or maybe the force just depletes over time and you have to take stuff from reserve. Problem with this isit all sounds a it complex to keep track of so I will think but will be erring on the side of simplicity for reasons already stated.

Ben, those models are fine to use. No one has bagsied Ents as a faction although not sure the Ents really like the dwarf use of axes.... since Stu is using Rohan/Arnor I would say go for it. Maybe those are Mirkwood Ents and have become a bit twisted by the necromancer's presence. I have had an idea of using control of different regions to unlock use of certain allies if desired, but again it's just a thought at the moment. So yes fine to use. Just remembered that Ents are part of the 'wanderers in the wild' so it sort of fits a bit better.
Yeah it was their mention in the wanderers in the wild section that made me question. not sure i will go that route yet just thinking ahead. cheers!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14