Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intial reactions to 6th edition
(02-08-2012, 07:58 PM)Gareth Wrote: I'm no where near reading the 6th ed rules. However from reading your discussion, I am tempted. I really enjoyed 7th ed fantasy, and love 8th ed, with the way the game become a two way game. Although burnt out on fantasy, it is something I want to go back to. However it appears that 6th has gone down a similar route, and it is something that I would like to try, at some point, although it will be some time down the line.

That being said for true two player involvement, nothing beats Malifaux.
Almost a full post with out mentioning the M word! Tongue
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
what i was trying to get at was he was giving up to early, from the little dicussion i had with nick one of the things were about incubi, yes they have got weaker in a sence but they are still really good standard marine killers. The other thing is I not into all out shooting armies, when I say i dont play standard tornament lists it means i dont go out all shooty. Most of the time I take wyche squads on venoms, talos, lelith hesperax with wracks, wrack unit ect. still combact squads but they still come out ok. I agree with the overwatch rule its not as damaging as you might think. In the end I am and allways will be dark eldar, have been for 15/16 years now you can still play them how you want within reason just need to rota few sqauds around the ones you want to play with depending on who you are facing thats all. As I said its down to the general playing with them not the armies. Most of all just having fun even if you do lose, as long as you give it your best and learn from it, its fine.
(03-08-2012, 12:06 AM)smallpoxeldar Wrote: what i was trying to get at was he was giving up to early, from the little dicussion i had with nick one of the things were about incubi, yes they have got weaker in a sence but they are still really good standard marine killers. The other thing is I not into all out shooting armies, when I say i dont play standard tornament lists it means i dont go out all shooty. Most of the time I take wyche squads on venoms, talos, lelith hesperax with wracks, wrack unit ect. still combact squads but they still come out ok. I agree with the overwatch rule its not as damaging as you might think. In the end I am and allways will be dark eldar, have been for 15/16 years now you can still play them how you want within reason just need to rota few sqauds around the ones you want to play with depending on who you are facing thats all. As I said its down to the general playing with them not the armies. Most of all just having fun even if you do lose, as long as you give it your best and learn from it, its fine.

I totally agree with this, combat armies/units in general have taken a big hit you can no longer assault out of standard vehicles, even open topped ones, which slows down assault armies/units, with overwatch as well it's no longer for Wyches or Ork Nobs to bomb across the battlefield in there open topped vehicles then assault next turn, but what you have to do now is set up multiple unit assaults.

IMO this means that you have to assault on mass to do the damage, no longer can one unit assault unsupported because it will get gunned down when it disembarks and then overwatched when it assaults.

I still think assault will play a part in 40k, but it's more for sweeping up weak units that were not wiped out by shooting... Undecided

I'm playing against Alan and his Nids soom, so will much more of an insight into how combat will work. Smile

Sorry to correct you Rob but:

p82 all open-topped transports are assault vehicles.
p33 'assault vehicles' passengers disembarking...can charge on the turn they do so...

So you can charge from open-topped which makes them awesome!

40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
both of you are correct yes you can assault from oppen topped transport which still makes them awesome, but sometimes you do need multiple assault units, but on the other hand several times I have attacked just with 5 man wyche squad and come out on top, people think that the 4+ dogde save doent do much but it does and if you add feel no pain into the mix a little harder with a possible chance of getting strength four/five from combat drugs and worlord traits.
transports now transport units around the battlefield faster (18" move on a Rhino flat out, then 6" and disembark - 6" - to shoot the next turn), whereas open topped vehicles and assault vehicles are great for shoving assault units down the enemies throat.

Like Rob said a multiple assault, going in first with a small cheap unit (as long as it doesn't get wiped), and then following with a more fragile but deadly unit that therefore avoids overwatch could be a good tactic if you can set it up.

Wonder if those rumours of an open-topped Rhino variant are true...
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Would be surprised if they were, marine assualt vehicle is Landraider Crusader/Redeemer as it has the Assualt ramp special rule. GW would rather you spend £40(or whatever a landraider is now days) than £20......
Blood bowl Skaven
Managed to make myself a mini rule book today to last me until the starter box comes out, doesn't look too bad to be fair.
Blood bowl Skaven
(11-08-2012, 02:03 PM)manrogue Wrote: Managed to make myself a mini rule book today to last me until the starter box comes out, doesn't look too bad to be fair.

Whoop! Smile

Killed my black ink cartridge though! : (
Blood bowl Skaven