Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stripping Plastic Figures
After my first failed attempt at applying some Cadian camo to a Space Marine, I figured I'd have a go at trying to strip all the paint off my test subject.

I followed this guide which is based on soaking the figures in Dettol.

Impresive results based on soaking for around 16 hours and a quick scrub with a toothbrush are below. There was a lot of paint on this figure too.

More scrubbing (and judicious application of a cocktail stick) would easily remove what little residue remains I think. As it is, this model should be good for respraying now.

Please share any other tried and tested techniques!

[Image: dettol_16_hours.jpg]
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Thanks Stu.

This will come in useful when buying painted stuff off eBay. Most items I've bought painted need to be stripped and redone.

Si
Left another figure soaking in Dettol, this time for 30 hours (kinda forgot about it). The paint then pretty much came off by itself, but I think the Dettol may have taken it's toll on the plastic a little. I might try a 24 hour soak next time.
Tried a metal figure yesterday - gave it a 24 hour soak in Dettol and the paint pretty much fell off Smile
i have seen a few sites that say pine green (a surface cleaner in america) is great for stripping metal minis, but haven't been able to get hold of any over here, would you say dettol is the same sort of thing? i have a few minis that could really do with a recoat Big Grin
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

Do you mean simple green? If so Dettol contains the same important chemical.
(05-05-2011, 12:50 AM)stygmatyr Wrote: i have seen a few sites that say pine green (a surface cleaner in america) is great for stripping metal minis, but haven't been able to get hold of any over here, would you say dettol is the same sort of thing? i have a few minis that could really do with a recoat Big Grin

Yeah, I saw mention of that product too. Dettol certainly seemed to do the trick - did another metal figure last night and it came up really well. One thing I've found is that straight after the Dettol treatment it's probably best to pick off the loose flakes of paint with a sharp point rather than scrubbing with a toothbrush, as the latter can smudge paint over the model again.
I just remembered that I heard mention that "Fairy Power Spray" is also good for stripping paint off metal miniatures too.

One important thing to stress when using the Dettol technique with plastic miniatures is to make sure that you rinse the model with neat Dettol and then soapy water, otherwise the model will become tacky.
Thanks for the tip-off. Mike says nail varnish remover works well, but personally I much prefer the smell of Dettol in the morning.
I've read somewhere that, for the price concious of you out there, that Sainsbury's own brand floor cleaner works well, so I'm going to give that a go tonight and see what the results are.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)