Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Scenics Tree Tutorial
Via a trip to Webbs to replenish our stock of Ushabti Bone (Bleached Bone), we couldn't help noticing the Woodland Scenics range of supplies for making your own terrain. We found a set which Antenociti's Workshop also sells called Tree Armatures (it was a set of 12) and they looked like descent quality, too. There was also a various selection of foilage ranging from is being broken up and loose in the bag to big, solid clusters of foam. We decided to pick up a set of the Armatures and two different colours of clusters to acompany them. We then had to pick up a small pot of tacky glue called Hob
b-E-Tac which has a similar consistency and appearence to PVA glue, but remains sticky permanently and dries clear. This is going to be a tutorial on how to make them.

Altogether, the combined materials that are needed for this are:
  • Woodland Scenics Tree Armatures

• A selection of Woodland Scenics Foilage Clusters (A range is best, but
    just one shade works fine)

• Hob-E-Tac

• Something (like a bit of paper) to wipe excess Hob-E-Tac off with
  • A Crafting Knife

First of all, I took out one of the armatures and slotted it into it's base. Then, I bended and twisted the branches of the tree around to make them look more realistic. It looked like this:

When that was all done and it looked even and rounded enough, I got the Hob-E-Tac and applied it to the branches. Looking at real trees helped for this, as it helped to see where the leaves on a tree actually grow and which areas to apply the Hob-E-Tac. It now looked like this:

Although it said that it should only take around 15 minutes for the Hob-E-Tac to dry, it seemed to take quite a bit longer for me, but when it was finally dry enough, it was time for me to apply the foilage. I just stuck with one colour of foam, but if your intentions were to do a proper forest, then you could mix and match it between the trees. Now, it looked like this, and this pretty much was the finished product, other than a few little bits of touching up.

So that took me around 35 minutes to do, including drying time and from the looks of it, it was a well-spent 35 minutes. We'll bring a few to the club in a couple of week's time - if I get time to do more than one, anyway!
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
Great write-up Luke Smile
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Nice tree! Looks easy to do, great tutorial, may try and have a go myself sometime.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Good tutorial Luke! The only thing I'd recommend is to use some kind of spray sealant or adhesive in order to keep the foliage stuck once the Hob-E-Tac has dried completely. Some of the clumps may fall off with use so sealing it will help combat that.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(04-06-2012, 06:36 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: Good tutorial Luke! The only thing I'd recommend is to use some kind of spray sealant or adhesive in order to keep the foliage stuck once the Hob-E-Tac has dried completely. Some of the clumps may fall off with use so sealing it will help combat that.

Yeah, thanks Simon. I'll definately use something to seal it as I think that you're right.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
Hexagonal MDF bases for these arrived from Warbases today.

Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Wow, the results are pretty amazing. Cheers for the tutorial!