Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The (Very Originally Titled) Film Thread
Video 
I'm a bit of a film geek/buff and quite suprised there's no dedicated movie thread in these here forums, so here we go...

Favourite films? Actor/esses? Directors? Genres? Seen anything good lately? Any upcoming releases getting you excited?

Myself and Mike saw 'Cowboys and Aliens' last week - it was... Ok. Better than I expected judging from the trailer; I'm not a fan of Daniel Craig but enjoyed his performance (although it was just Daniel Craig playing Daniel Craig as usual...). Good bit parts from two of my favourite actors; Sam Rockwell and Paul Dano, but as a whole it's pretty forgettable.

On the other hand we saw 'Fright Night' on Saturday, and it is fantastic! From the opening credit text to the closing credits cover of '99 Problems' it's funny, gory and really ramps up the scares and tension. I've not seen the original yet so can't compare it as a remake, but it's one of the best horror films I've seen in a long time - definate modern setting 'Lost Boys' vibe to it. The 3D is a bit pointless though (like its rarely anything but...) except in the aforementioned credits. Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell and David Tennant are all excellent (I love Toni Collette in anything too, but she wasn't given much to do here). Recommended.
A couple of films from recent(ish) years that I've enjoyed are...
  • Gattaca - very stylish sci-fi with a 50's feel to it
  • The Prestige - one of those films where the final 10 minutes make you go back and rethink the entire movie. DO NOT READ ANY PLOT SUMMARIES IF YOU INTEND TO WATCH THIS! Wink
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to this:

^ No idea what this is as my phone won't connect to youtube.

Gattaca is fantastic but The Prestige is somewhere amongst the 200+ on my LoveFilm list...
(13-09-2011, 03:02 PM)rachtheweevil Wrote: ^ No idea what this is as my phone won't connect to youtube.

It's the new trailer for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. From the few clips I've seen Gary Oldman looks like inspired casting for this.
Yes, it looks fantastic, can't wait to see it; what an ensemble!
I'm a massive anime fan, though not watched much last 12 months as had burnout from watching to much stuff, so give it a break for a bit.
Akira is my favourite film mainly as it opened my eyes to the anime genre as whole, though i do love the classic geek stuff of Starwars (original trilogy obviouslyTongue) and lord of the rings. Like the comic book Films as well, was pleasantly surprised cap america.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
''I'm a massive anime fan'' ditto
plus world cinema stuff
plus warflims
I'm an anime fan, although not watched much new recently. I love Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost In The Shell, Tokyo Godfathers. Series wise - Jungle Wa..., Samurai Champloo and Read or Die. Above all though I love Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli films - particuarly Spirited Away and Totoro. I plan to get some Ghibli characters amongst my work-in-progress 'geeky-arm sleeve' tattoo at some point ^_^
Same here love Miyazaki stuff, and have a massive collection of region 1 and 2 stuff which am more than happy to lend out. All gundam series, alot of one piece, fullmetal alchemist, all Studio ghibli, etc etc.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven