Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY fans
Hi everyone, im looking to convert my garage I to a hobby room some time. the hope is so I have a good space for people from here to be able to come over for a little game now and then on weekends and evenings!

I've never tried any diy of and sudstansial nature before though and no idea where to start. I also have some ideas on features to build in, like a table the can rise up into the celing out of the way. If anyone has any advice or cool ideas i would love to hear them!

Thanks in advance! :-D
W40K: Blood Ravens / Orks / Inquisitor / Imperial Guard
Warhammer: Dwarfs
Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth / Khador / Cygar / Circle
Malifaux: Started Neverborn and Outcasts
(08-04-2016, 12:16 PM)aprilmanha Wrote: Hi everyone, im looking to convert my garage I to a hobby room some time. the hope is so I have a good space for people from here to be able to come over for a little game now and then on weekends and evenings!

I've never tried any diy of and sudstansial nature before though and no idea where to start. I also have some ideas on features to build in, like a table the can rise up into the celing out of the way. If anyone has any advice or cool ideas i would love to hear them!

Thanks in advance! :-D

When you say converting... Do you mean remove garage door and replace with a big window?
Is there an internal door from your house (e.g. from kitchen) into Garage?.

Or, is it staying a garage, but with a wargaming table in it?
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
I've been looking to do something similar with our garage...

...for about 10 years Smile

I have a few ideas that I can share when I next see you. As Paul says, a lot depends on what your plans are.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(09-04-2016, 02:50 PM)Agincourt Wrote: When you say converting... Do you mean remove garage door and replace with a big window?

It's a built in garage with a door to the inside.
Removing the garage door and adding a wall and normal door for fire safety.
Then the rest of the room will have a new floor and ceiling I think for insulation.
(14-04-2016, 07:22 AM)aprilmanha Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 02:50 PM)Agincourt Wrote: When you say converting... Do you mean remove garage door and replace with a big window?

It's a built in garage with a door to the inside.
Removing the garage door and adding a wall and normal door for fire safety.
Then the rest of the room will have a new floor and ceiling I think for insulation.

If you want building regs - I wish you good luck!

My in-laws converted their garage which was attached to the house into a games room, literally all they needed was a wall instead of the garage door and sound proofing/insulation, oh and a carpet.

The building regs were a JOKE! They had to have crazy deep foundations (the wall has deeper foundations than the house) and also have a wired into the mains smoke alarm fitted. All of which costs £££

Obviously.. without building regs this can be done quite cheaply I suspect.

Thanks for the warning!

I think I'm safe on that as my garage is a core part of the house, and is actually under my bedroom!
As long as the conversion does not extend its size building regs don't care about this :-)
(14-04-2016, 05:56 PM)Embolden Wrote: If you want building regs - I wish you good luck!

My in-laws converted their garage which was attached to the house into a games room, literally all they needed was a wall instead of the garage door and sound proofing/insulation, oh and a carpet.

The building regs were a JOKE! They had to have crazy deep foundations (the wall has deeper foundations than the house) and also have a wired into the mains smoke alarm fitted. All of which costs £££

Obviously.. without building regs this can be done quite cheaply I suspect.

I can empathise - I went down the building regs route and ended up having to excavate part of my driveway to establish there was a footing beneath the front of the garage.

(14-04-2016, 11:13 PM)aprilmanha Wrote: Thanks for the warning!

I think I'm safe on that as my garage is a core part of the house, and is actually under my bedroom!
As long as the conversion does not extend its size building regs don't care about this :-)

Depending on what you have in mind I think you'll be OK from a planning perspective, but not necessarily immune from building regs. The latter are concerned with validating the structural integrity of your project and ensuring that it meets current standards for safety (escape routes, etc.) and insulation. Bit more here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/20...ulations/4

I hear that many people decide to not declare their intentions to the relevant department though, but I couldn't possibly condone that. *cough*
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Thanks for the warning Stuart Tongue I was not aware building regs were a separate thing!

Just as well I have never heard of them before, as I would not want to bother them by calling them up Big Grin

I was thinking of a Wooden wall though, packed with insulation, as it will be easier to build for me (no brick experience) and the existing fixtures will make it easy to install, then put a door in it Big Grin