Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Classic" Citadel paints
Anyone miss the "Old" citidel paints? This company were the ones who made them (I think) and still have the same colours.

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat_darms/paintsets.php
For the Angelic Horde!
By Old Citadel Paints I assume you mean the old Tall plastic pots (with a white flip lid for paints and black flip lids for inks,) that came in firstly tubular pots that became hexagonal pots. If you remember those paints, they were produced for GW by HMG Paints. HMG then decided to produce their own range and by pass GW and that became Cote D'Arms. So yes they are the exact same formula from then, used in Cote D'Arms. HMG also produce paints on behalf of Privateer Press (Formula P3 range,) and all Foundry Paints.

GW around the time of the Bolter Shell pots, switched manufacturers although they kept the same names, and the company that produced those (I'm unsure of their name,) produce the paints on behalf of Army Painter. So if your after paints from that range (so paints from before the current range,) Army Painter are equivalent but the range is much smaller than GW had. The Army Painter Washes are the same formula as the previous GW Washes (Agrax Earthshade and Abadan Black for example are available as Army Painter inks in dropper bottles although the dip tins are different formula.)

So there are a huge number of ways to get old GW paints.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(05-08-2015, 02:25 PM)Gareth Wrote: By Old Citadel Paints I assume you mean the old Tall plastic pots (with a white flip lid for paints and black flip lids for inks,) that came in firstly tubular pots that became hexagonal pots. If you remember those paints, they were produced for GW by HMG Paints. HMG then decided to produce their own range and by pass GW and that became Cote D'Arms. So yes they are the exact same formula from then, used in Cote D'Arms. HMG also produce paints on behalf of Privateer Press (Formula P3 range,) and all Foundry Paints.

GW around the time of the Bolter Shell pots, switched manufacturers although they kept the same names, and the company that produced those (I'm unsure of their name,) produce the paints on behalf of Army Painter. So if your after paints from that range (so paints from before the current range,) Army Painter are equivalent but the range is much smaller than GW had. The Army Painter Washes are the same formula as the previous GW Washes (Agrax Earthshade and Abadan Black for example are available as Army Painter inks in dropper bottles although the dip tins are different formula.)

So there are a huge number of ways to get old GW paints.

Unfortunately they don't do ALL the old paints. I have (had now dead) a pot of Enchanted Forest/Wood Green, which was the best colour I preferred for grass. I wrote to these guys and they said sorry there are a few they don't do anymore (or have an 'identical' equivalent of...)
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Wrote to who Paul? If you mean Cote D'Arms have you tried looking at the foundry paint website to see if there is an equivalent?
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(05-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Gareth Wrote: Wrote to who Paul? If you mean Cote D'Arms have you tried looking at the foundry paint website to see if there is an equivalent?

Yeah the HMG / Cote D'Arms lot. My pot is one of the first hex/octagonal pot range. I wrote and explained my searching. They gave me impression, they did do it, but it's one they stopped.

Will have a check of the foundary site.

I have looked at various comparison charts (e.g. Dakka Dakka) but not found it.

It is my bane, painting grass, I have never found colours I like!

I keep an occasional eye out on ebay for boxes of old paints, and try to read the lables, etc see if I can find an odd pot somewhere, but no.

Oldhammer website was where I got my initial leads from as they were matching old paints to old figures, etc.

Cheers
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill