Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay classy GW (re. GCN affiliation)
(23-09-2015, 12:25 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(22-09-2015, 12:23 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: I can't decide if I'm just being biased against GW, but it seems like they created a situation they knew the GCN couldn't comply with, causing the affiliation to dissolve. But then that could be my bias showing.

Yeah seems like it to me too, sure they have had some of their legal guys on this to find a way.

Yeah, I've got basically no respect left for GW these days.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
GW are really wanting to isolate themselves from outside and have no affiliations with any with any supplier (through stringent and ludicrous demands or just no intensive to stock GW products) and now they have forced the GCNs hands into severing ties with them...

Coupled with the fact they don't support a single event outside of their own Throne of Skulls and Games Days.. they have NO way to actively engage the wider gaming community and drive sales.. and barely support there own gaming systems, even coming out with "we're a model company, not a games company"..

They have practically ZERO community communications and must be next to ZERO feedback, bar FB which isn't centralised (can contact your local store.. only) and a youtube channel which has disabled comments.

I honestly have no idea how GW can continue, because they, to me, look they have ZERO business strategy and I'm worried, I have a lot of time and money invested in 40k and am seriously wanting to consider moving to another game which at least feels supported by the manufacturer...

Yeah it is worrying but having said that there are still a few epic Armageddon tournaments around, so if 40k does die I'm sure there will be many ppl still wanting to play for some time to come.

Just thought id mention guildball, seems to be really well supported with constant community feedback, tournaments etc from just a small team. It seems like a great game as well, very tactical with a few models, might be worth a look Rob, even though v diif from 40k.

There is this new game beyond the gates of Antares that I've seen is being launched from warlord games. No idea what the rules are like but what caught my attention was the artwork was very similar to the front of the old rogue trader 1st edition 40K - made me think they may be going for a 40k like game.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Cheers Chris, will take a look at some stage :p, I don't mind if its different from 40k at all, I quite like the look of Infinity and Malifaux (or however you spell it) to name but a few. So will have to check out Guildball and Antares Smile

Saga is worth a look too, really enjoyed all the games I have played of that and can get into it for less than £60 (rulebook and a couple of plastic dark age warrior/viking boxes from gripping beast, plus dice). It's got a clever unit activation system that really makes you think what you want to do with each turn with limited 'resources' (saga dice).
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
What Chris said re. SAGA. I think you might enjoy Warmachine too Rob.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Gates of Antares uses same mechanic as Bolt Action. I am intending to get the rules when available.

I had intended to download the free beta version, but missed out. If anyone did can I have a read prior to final edition being published.

Written of course by Rick Priestly...

I've also downloaded all the Mordhiem stuff (all free) as I prefer skirmish games at the moment.

What I like is that the 'living' rules have been updated by fans and players and all very organic and changeable.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
(25-09-2015, 09:59 AM)Agincourt Wrote: I've also downloaded all the Mordhiem stuff (all free) as I prefer skirmish games at the moment.

Same here, been meaning to take a look at Mordheim myself. Fantasy skirmishing seems very popular at the moment.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(25-09-2015, 06:29 AM)Embolden Wrote: Cheers Chris, will take a look at some stage :p, I don't mind if its different from 40k at all, I quite like the look of Infinity and Malifaux (or however you spell it) to name but a few. So will have to check out Guildball and Antares Smile

I'd recommend WarmaHordes personally. I think it's a much better system than 40k. Plus big stompy robots.