Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Eldar?
Your joking right?

There are multiple strong units in the codex, Jetbikes being the prime example but also Wraithguard with either cannons or D-scythes, Vauls, Hemlock, fire prisms etc. I wouldn't even consider Phoenix lords in a competitive list to be honest, i'd rather take a jetseer for HQ or WK for LoW.

In casual play you may see a mix now, but in the competitive tournament scene many won't look beyond lots of Scatriders in the troop slot and Jetseers as HQ with a variation of the stronger units for flavour (WG, WK, D Vauls,Hemlock with D etc).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying eldar are now unbeatable, but it is the top codex a lot of peoples opinion (including mine).
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(22-04-2015, 02:04 PM)Thom Wrote: @Embolden - I'd rage quit if they didn't politely let me know that multiple WK were to be used. I think that's common courtesy.

Each to there own I guess, personally, I think it would be rude to quit a game or not even play the game if you don't like an opponents list, however like Chris said it comes down to the communication when the games are offered/accepted.

Anyways this if getting way off topic..

I'm gonna try a lot of the units out over the next few weeks..

TLDR: I'm not joking Vince RE Special Characters strengths. Embolden - Tournaments vs Club Nights context for Rage Quitting - great read here:
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/sh...Playstyles

I'm not joking - Special characters for me are what gives the game bit of shine and takes it above others. I really like watching the Who Would Win between characters on MWG channel... maybe just me.

But if you compare Eldar's special characters to other codexs then they are so much better - regardless of whether you'd see them in competitive lists and it supports the idea that the Eldar codex is now far from balanced and further expands the gulf between the bottom tier codexs to this...

I am not arguing that there are other stronger units for more competitive/tournament lists.

As a sign off on rage quitting - I agree it is essentially rude to quit a game or not play the game if you don't like an opponent's list, and it does come down to communication.
However, it is context, if in a tournament - you have to expect the most competitive lists and there is no excuse. To flip that, on a Tuesday night - it's more of a friendly, try different things, have a laugh and learning context - where if you came down with 1+ WK's and the game was over in 3 turns.. what's the point in playing a game you know you will win - please read:
-- http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/sh...Playstyles
(23-04-2015, 09:22 AM)Thom Wrote: Snip
I'm not joking - Special characters for me are what gives the game bit of shine and takes it above others. I really like watching the Who Would Win between characters on MWG channel... maybe just me.
Snip

I agree special characters give the game shine, i was more replying to the fact you said this-
Quote:I think the only other really strong units were the buffs to the Phoenix Lords (who are ludicrously cheap - Asurmen at 220 vs Abaddon at near 300) are deadly!
Which i thought basically implied that only the WK and P lords were the good units in codex..... lol
Obviously misinterpreted what you you meant.Smile

In casual play you will see a lot of mix and matching going on in Eldar lists as a lot of the units are viable, which is good.

Tournament play you are very unlikely to see Asurman as for 220 Pts you can get 8 Scatriders that fire 32 S6 shots....

I know Tuesday are only casual evening, hence why i haven't brought any of my dirty cheese fest lists to the club for a while and switched from my beloved Tau, since a lot of the tournament players stopped attending.
Blood bowl Skaven
Agree - I hadn't seen all the other units in the codex, just from the snippets I'd seen. I should I have clarified that :-).
Looking into it more and after some extensive discussion, it's an interesting one. Overall the codex is more balanced, with almost every unit being worthwhile in one respect or another - something that will be great in casual play as we'll see lots of viable lists that can be fluffy and stick to themes, without copy-and-paste Wave Serpents and (*growling*) summoning Daemons.
On the other, the standout units are really, really standout. Wraith Knights, ScatRiders, JetSeers - will be horrible and plentiful.
I think much of the hate and rage for this comes from the fact that they didn't need a boost, really - just a touch of balance to make more units viable, which is what Necrons got - arguably that's a really strong codex too, but no stronger realistically than it was before and with loads of viable builds.
I'm just sore because both of my armies are lower tier and the gulf is widening, and I refuse to just spam units :-P
40K - Tyranids (4500 Points) & Chaos - The Purge and the Brazen Host (8500 Points)
30K - Death Guard (2000ish Points), Sons of Horus (175 Points because Loken) + World Eaters, soon.
Project Log
"Only a fool takes Khârn for a mindless brute or rabid dog. Under that blood-soaked helm lurks an intelligence and cunning that makes him a masterful killer - trust me when I say that there is a dark purpose in his madness."
So have taking a look at the english leaked images I'm thinking:

Assuming Wraithknights are banned at most events at present.

So thinking:

Eldar CAD:

Farseer Skyrunner - Spiritstone - 130
Eldrad - 195 (Warlord)

5 Jetbikes - 5 Scatter lasers - 135
5 Jetbikes - 5 Scatter lasers - 135
10 Jetbikes - 10 Scatter lasers - 270

5 Wraithguard - D-Scythes - 210
Wave Serpent - 110

Crimson Hunter - Exarch, Bright Lances - 160

3 D-Cannons - 165
3 D-Cannons - 165

Still has another 175pts to spend so thinking.. Inquisition Allies, Cheapo Inquisitor with Skulls and a Psyker squad in Razorback. Then another unit of Jetbikes maybe.

What do you guys think?

Hemlock with it's D not take your fancy?
Inquisitor with skulls could be nice to prevent infiltration and then another squad of bikes?
Blood bowl Skaven
Yep inquisitor stops infiltration and nasty wolf stars scouting forwards.. gives me more time to kill them wolves!

A Hemlock does.. maybe over a Crimson Hunter.. Shriek and 2 D-Scythes into something is going to hurt.. Big Grin

Lots of options, its a good codex even looking beyond the obvious.

PS Eldrad grants D3 units scout as standard.. so can scout up the D-Cannons so they are in range turn1... Wink

Oh nice and very tasty, if you get first turn thats going to ruin a lot vehicles/Infantry!
Blood bowl Skaven