Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Independent characters joining characters
Hey guys,

Been wondering this for a while, how are people wanting to play Independent characters joining characters..

The relevant rules pages are 9 and 166, page 9 defines what a unit is, be it a lone character, monstrous creature or squad of marines, everything without a armour value is classed as a unit basically...

Page 166, it specifically says Independent characters may join or leave any unit unless otherwise specified, unless the unit is a monstrous creature, which they can never join.

Here is a couple of examples:

Riptide and Buff Commander - I say no, because it's a monstrous creature and it specifically says cannot join with MC.

Corbulo joins Mehphiston - I say yes, Mephiston is a character and therefore considered to be a unit, Corbulo an independent character and can join a unit.

Mantle of the Laughing God - this removes IC status so bearer becomes a Character, I say any other IC can join such a character.

What are peoples feelings on this, Rules as written.

pg - 100
"other characters such as Mephiston of the blood angels, fight as units on their own. They are either mighty enough or feared enough by their own kind that they dont take the battlefield with other warriors."

so no to both for me.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Riptide/buffmander i dont think there can be any argument here although ovesa has both the monsterous creature and ic rule? So can he join a unit of suits still? Can there be another ic in the unit if he does as in theory they would be joing a creature? Bit vague really. As with mephiston its a funny one. The general flufg says he SHOULD be on his own but the rules seem to allow it! I also love the idea of T8 (iron arm) mephiston running around with Corbulo (my favorite model in 40k) smashing stuff up!! Although not having the wings power anymore (makes him jump inf) means hes super slow n would take a few turns to get into combat unless es in a transport.
The argument for O'vesa is attach him last and you are golden, as other independent characters are already attached and you technically not attaching them to a MC.

Personally, would like to think that O'vesa can still attach as the fluff supports it as part of the council of 8(farsights bodyguard from the enclaves supplement).

I'm happy to go with whatever though, its not as fun when you are not attaching riptides to riptides with added riptides. Tongue
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(12-07-2014, 07:51 AM)Simian Wrote: pg - 100
"other characters such as Mephiston of the blood angels, fight as units on their own. They are either mighty enough or feared enough by their own kind that they dont take the battlefield with other warriors."

so no to both for me.

No rules to back this up though as that statement is just that, a statement.

Mephiston is a charcter and therefore classed as unit pg9

page 166 says IC's can join units.

exactly the same as a Eldar character with Mantle, it cannot join anything, but ICs can join it.

So I think you can

O'vesa... hmm, technically he could join a unit of 20 kroot?

it specifically mentions a model you queried by name and says he fights alone....regardless of how you want to read it, its very clear to me. Surely this is just a question of intention (clearly that characters shouldn't join) against rules as written.

it doesn't make much difference anyway.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Mephiston doesn't have the IC special rule. So cannot join or be joined by units. IC's or othrewise.
For the Angelic Horde!
(16-07-2014, 01:20 PM)Simian Wrote: it specifically mentions a model you queried by name and says he fights alone....regardless of how you want to read it, its very clear to me. Surely this is just a question of intention (clearly that characters shouldn't join) against rules as written.

it doesn't make much difference anyway.

Thats just a statement though, not a rule. Something along the lines of some characters fight alone like Mephiston IIRC without the rulebook in front of me. Doesn't say anything about ICs not joining him or any other characters.

It does make a difference to me. As I'd like to join a Farseer to my Autarch with Mantle... So wanted a ruling on this. The statement above doesn't satisfyme one bit.

(16-07-2014, 01:27 PM)Baalborn87 Wrote: Mephiston doesn't have the IC special rule. So cannot join or be joined by units. IC's or othrewise.

Any rules to back this up mate?