Poll: Can serpent shields be destroyred by weapon destroyed result?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
66.67%
4 66.67%
No
33.33%
2 33.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can serpent shields be destroyed by weapon destroyed results?
As title, serpent shields are a vehicle equipment that CAN be fired as a weapon. Can they be destroyed by weapon destroyed result?
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I've voted nope... firstly because I use Serpents... secondly because it's Wargear :p...

Tbh I'm happy to 4+ it if a disagreement comes up

Lol, I like this guys reasoning on the massive thread on it at Dakka-
Quote:I've seen the scatter laser thing brought up a few times. Is there anyone out there who thinks that there is a RAW reason the Serpent Shield both CANNOT be destroyed and CAN benefit from the Scatter Laser buff?
It seems to track (at least to me) that you'd have to do it all or nothing.
Surely if it is wargear and not a weapon, it can't be twin linked?

Also relevant-
Quote:From Weapon Destroyed: "This can include vehicle upgrades that function as weapons"

Just food for thought and promote discussion. Tongue
Blood bowl Skaven
Lol

Firstly can twin link wargear (see tau battle suits :p)

I think the way I will push for this to be played is it can be destroyed as an offensive weapon but not defensive wargear. Ie weapon destroyed but can still function as a shield :p

I'm voting yes. Having read the Weapon Destroyed entry in the rulebook, it does say that "One of the vehicle's weapons (randomly chosen) is destroyed - including any combi-or built in weapons." To me that seems pretty clear, but I think Embolden's suggestion of losing the offensive ability is probably a sensible one.

Presumably in the Eldar codex it must list it along the lines of "can be used as a weapon.." or something like that, and I'm guessing it comes on the model by default....ergo it is a weapon with offensive capability that is built-in. I don't think the use of the word 'Wargear' is consistent enough throughout the rulebook or codexes to use it as a form of classification. So my view is that it could be destroyed, but only it's offensive ability as that's the "weapon" part of it so to speak.
Warhammer 40K (Astra Militarum & CSM/1KSons/Daemons) | AoS (Daemons of Chaos) | Dropfleet Commander (UCM) 
Models painted in 2017: 74
Models painted in 2018: 45
Models painted in 2019: 55
I am cool with whatever, just wanted to get it debated Tongue

I like the idea of just the weapon portion of it being destroyed, sounds a fair compromise.
Blood bowl Skaven
(01-07-2014, 01:35 PM)Agent0range Wrote: I'm voting yes. Having read the Weapon Destroyed entry in the rulebook, it does say that "One of the vehicle's weapons (randomly chosen) is destroyed - including any combi-or built in weapons." To me that seems pretty clear, but I think Embolden's suggestion of losing the offensive ability is probably a sensible one.

Presumably in the Eldar codex it must list it along the lines of "can be used as a weapon.." or something like that, and I'm guessing it comes on the model by default....ergo it is a weapon with offensive capability that is built-in. I don't think the use of the word 'Wargear' is consistent enough throughout the rulebook or codexes to use it as a form of classification. So my view is that it could be destroyed, but only it's offensive ability as that's the "weapon" part of it so to speak.

this guy read my mind or something.

anyway after also reading the weapon destroyed section in the rulebook it makes sense to me that you can destroy the shield as it can be fired as a weapon and even if it is classed as war gear, it has a weapons profile and we should be able to destroy it.

its either we destroy or it cant benefit from being made twin-linked by scatter lasers, I think its one of those ways to run it.
40K: Orks and Chaos Space Marines

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth
Have read the Serpent Shield entry and....

Quote:...In its shooting phase, the Wave Serpent can deactivate its shields to shoot a burst of energy with the following profile (treat as a hull mounted weapon pointing forwards):.....

Quite simple once you read the rules imo, Weapon can be destroyed as it specifically says, Weapon.

I still think the shield should stay if the weapon part is destroyed, as thats in a separate paragraph.