Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Letter from the GCN
The GCN have issued the following statement to all clubs following some recent rumours.

Quote:The GCN

An open letter to the membership, from the President of the GCN...

It would appear that since the tragic death of Tony Barnes, rumours have been circulating that the GCN has lost its way, become unfriendly and is doing nothing. No doubt due to a lack of leadership from the President.

Okay here is the nothing that has happened in the last few months.

The membership administration has been overhauled and digitised. We now know every detail of a club, chased up wrong addresses, contacts etcetera. This follows a complex audit of piles of annual returns and files which Tony was working on when he passed away.

Two editions of the GCN brochure have been compiled and both general use and Games Workshop including updated club listings supplied by yourselves.

The Area Representative position is to be reconsidered, to make the job easier and more relevant with increased support. This is being worked on as I am writing this.

The Newsletter has been overhauled according to member clubs wishes and suggestions. It will be published in a number of formats as requested and be printer friendly. It will incorporate a wider range and include event listings from Games Centres as well as articles from GCN clubs.

I would also make the point that what is said in the newsletter has to be diplomatic. Having an opinion is one thing, but certain things said can be actionable and the GCN has no intention of going to court over one person’s misguided opinions. This is why every newsletter has to be edited. It will be published within the next three weeks.

The website, which has been unfit for purpose, is finally to be rebuilt this year. It will be functional and user-friendly, incorporating the best of the old site but with new and practical functions.

The Network will have a direct PAYPAL account in time for the next round of Annual Returns.

The number of companies involved in the Discounts and Offers scheme is to double in October after extensive negotiations.

The GCN now stands at more shows than ever before and will be travelling to Crisis in Antwerp at the invitation of the TSA as we are extending the Network into Europe.

In addition, we have dealt with more queries than ever before, most of which have been answered and dealt with within two working days. Wherever we have been asked to stand at a show or tournament and agreed, we have ensured we are there. The GCN does not withdraw from commitments.

I accept the criticism that we may not have publicised what we are doing but these tasks all take time and it is well to remember that all the current GCN council members are in work. They are unpaid and all have families to consider. This period has been difficult especially as the previous incumbents were able to devote their full time to the GCN. I would rather achieve something than talk about achieving it.

In November, three Council positions come up for election, those of Vice-President, Secretary and Web Manager. If you want to get involved and can get the nominations of two clubs other than your own, put yourself forward.

The GCN council will be at the Warlord Open Day on the 26th July 2014. If you wish to see us and discuss what has been happening or bring forward new ideas please feel free. I would welcome the chance to hear the opinions of those who have been deriding us on the forums.

On a personal level I have taken up the Presidency of the Council because, like every other council member, I want to carry forward Tony’s vision to see the GCN flourish and fulfil its potential, not for personal vanity or as many freebies as I can stuff in my rucksack!

As ever, the GCN remains a vibrant and member-led organisation.

Should you wish to contact me directly on any matter you can email me on <withheld to prevent spam, ask me if you want it - Stu>

My best regards to you all

Dave Wise

GCN President
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Ouch!
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill