Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LoS blocking terrain in 40K?
I was reading up on Caledonian and a lot of people mentioned that the games played were very tactical because of the amount of LoS terrain.

I can understand the need for this with the amount of ignore cover around now, so as a thought would it be worthwhile trying to introduce some at the club?

If so, what would be a good idea?

2 large pieces per board?

How tall? 20cm/8inches tall x 20cm/8inches wide/long or shorter/smaller?

Discussion and comments appreciated!

Edit - something like this mid table?
[Image: 96_2.jpg]
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Great idea Vince, IMHO 40k is best played with plenty of Los impeding/blocking terrain, otherwise gun line armies gain too much of an advantage and it's a less fun game for both players. Also fluff wise, if a battle between two equal armies takes place on a plain, tanks and firepower rule (Kursk, El Alamein), whereas when heavy terrain is involved, the outcome is much less clear cut and close quarters fighting plays an important part (Stalingrad, the French bocage). In the 40k 'verse, tyranids charging across an open plain against tau are going to be decimated, but chuck them both in a forest and the Tau are dead meat. Therefore, as with everything in life, we should strive for balance on the battlefield - some LoS blocking terrain but not too much, so with some clear fire lanes as well, that will, like you say, make for games that are tactically trickier and therefore more satisfying to play.

Sorry, went off on one there!

I think two pieces per table would be sufficient. That piece looks like a good size, some of the hills we've got work well and I've played a tournament before where they classed groups of close packed trees as Los blocking terrain, unless you were inside the terrain, where you could shoot / be shot at. That worked pretty well.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
agree completely, LOS blocking terrain is needed in 40k
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Coolio, was what i was thinking as we lack big buildings, rocky mountains etc.

Will try and build some bits up when i get chance, seeing as i am working on my gaming table presently anyway. No promises on time scale though Tongue
Blood bowl Skaven
That exact bit of terrain was on my table game 5 lol I think more Los blocking stuff could be great and could be split into 2 prices per box or something along those lines? Would deffo help for tournament practise though! Good call dude!
Yeah thats a Amera workshop one (£9), tempted to tap Simon up and see what the club finances are like to spring for a couple of bits. Tongue
Blood bowl Skaven
Any suggestions for pre-made terrain items? Whilst I don't mind supplying terrain that needs assembling/painting, I also don't want it to just be sitting around in bare resin for a year etc.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
At Cale there was a lot of LOS blocking terrain, from Ruins with ground floor windows all blocked up to hills.

Variety is the spice of life, nothing too big, I also played with some of those buildings that where crazy big.. personally I'm not a fan lol

My game with Ben last night was fairly baron bar mount everest on his side, I had practically nothing to protect my advance. So I like 4 medium bits and 2 smaller bits, plus some area terrain should be plenty.

Look at a few pics from Cale:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/h...8444_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/h...8025_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/h...5713_n.jpg

Just to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Those buildings in the first pic with the bigger windows are exactly the buildings i am on about funnily enough Rob! lol
Blood bowl Skaven
Any of these buildings that also look the part (and can double up for) for Bolt Action (28mm) would be much appreciated (like the one pictured)...Big Grin
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill