Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to White dwarf and new release schedule?
Spotted this today and thought was worth a share-

Quote:http://www.beastsofwar.com/games-worksho...-changing/

You might have seen in the News & Rumours forum that White Dwarf from Games Workshop is going to be vanishing to be replaced with something a little different. Well, we’re had a dig around and it’s verified as true by an independent source.

White Dwarf Jan 2014

Here is what we know. This is going to be official in the next couple of days and will see White Dwarf changing into…
White Dwarf Weekly

This will be a twenty eight page weekly paper magazine available in trade and retail and will come to around the price of a pot of paint. It will feature new releases, the usual columns and general articles.
Warhammer Visions

Visions takes up the usual monthly slot and will also be in print, not digital. It’s heralded to be a nice sexy looking magazine looking at the months releases with plenty of images. Visions should also be in news stands rather than just in-house. The cost comes in at around the same price as the current White Dwarf and is more of a ‘collectors piece’.

February is going to see these changes coming into effect and they should be floating around from the 1st. We’re glad that they’re sticking to the print medium and also making White Dwarf Weekly available through their independent stockists too, it should be a nice boon for them.

A weekly mini-magazine also brings into question the way releases are going to hit. Are we going to see releases weekly rather than monthly in quite a big shift? It certainly makes things more flexible for them.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Really interested to see if this means small weekly releases rather than once a month large releases with regards to new product (ie models)
Blood bowl Skaven
Could be an interesting change.

Wonder how that will work for people with Subscriptions then?

and cost of a pot of paint per week, so 2.50 per week? theyre having a laugh.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Lol, yep the cost is a bit high for a 28 page weekly magazine!

Can't see them getting many pages of articles in that, i wonder if it will still have the 5 pages of every GW store in the world? Tongue
Blood bowl Skaven
White Dwarf is dying, and I could understand a change, but this would kill GW. How many times have you bought into an army, then a month later, wishes you had held on, because you prefer the following months releases. Going weekly with 1 week lead up, you will know the following weeks items, at the same time you could buy this weeks. Many people would be waiting for the latest shiney, and not buying the current one.

Besides going print heavy for a company trying to drive the digital market forward, is a strange step.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Just spotted this post-
Quote:All Official

White Dwarf will be changing from monthly to weekly, meaning releases will be spread across the space of a month rather than all at once. The change will mean army updates will now start with the codex/armybook with a few new releases (kit Re-do's) on the first week and bigger or newer kits the second week. With the hobbit releases on the third week and other releases on the fourth though how pre-orders will work is still yet to be seen. White dwarf will be smaller with about just 34 pages and prices will also drop to about £2.40 in the UK per weekly issue. All hobby related articles except painting guides on the new releases will be removed. The new monthly magazine will focus on just 40k and fantasy hobby like modeling, painting, converting etc.. This will be bigger than the current white dwarf but will also be around £7.50 UK price. This will feature things like army on parade and army of the month style displays aswell as hobby tips, conversions, paint schemes and much more.This means people can just buy the issues that feature products they are interested in rather than a whole white dwarf, and those who prefer the hobby side can buy a magazine just dedicated to hobby rather than advertisements. The anouncement is set to be this saturday, with the new style of magazines starting from the first of February. So what do you think about Games Workshop bringing back proper hobby articles and releasing things weekly again? White Dwarf subscribers will now recieve warhammer visions not white dwarf or white dwarf visions for no extra charge.
Blood bowl Skaven
I fail to see the point of a magazine you pay for showing armies on parade type stuff when you can just look online. It needs to be a magazine that includes rules, campaign ideas, new short stories as well as painting guides and terrain articles, like the old white dwarf years ago. They have bastardised the magazine so much, making you pay for all those cool new rules etc separately with things like crusade of fire, data slates etc that the magazine is pointless - hence the change, it must be losing money. I don't think the visions magazine will work, the weekly white dwarf might stay, if only to give them a store presence in things like WHSmith for advertising, but I remain to be convinced it'll be worth buying.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Im still not sure i understand what is going to be in each version of the magazine.

guess i'll wait and see
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Yeah, i am interested to see what is going to happen with the new magazine. As always when a reboot is happening, a lot of people are saying the weekly one will be a catalogue and the monthly one will be a return to the old style, articles, painting guides and features.

But that was said on the reboot last year as well! Tongue

If it returned to the days of past, with decent articles, rules, terrain making etc i would a get a subscrition in a heartbeat. Sadly i don't think it will. Sad
Blood bowl Skaven
Quote:If it returned to the days of past, with decent articles, rules, terrain making etc i would a get a subscrition in a heartbeat.
this, very much this...

Quote:Sadly i don't think it will.
but probably this
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss