Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battlefield Birmingham 5 40k tournament
I finished on two wins, 3 losses, (same as last time!) so finished 35th. Played Space marines with tau allies game 4, 2 dev centurion squads of 4 and 3 broadsides on a skyshield - which i can't assault onto with my assault biker army.... I got repulsed from the pad after he seized losing 8 black knights through focus fire, then my orbital bombardment scattered 8 inches off the table. after that there was nothing i could do other than go for a draw but he managed to kill 1 unit near the end of the game giving him a 19-1 victory. Not really a very fun game tbh.
Game 5 up against eldar gunline with tau allies. He had first turn and by th eend of his turn 2 i had killed 5 firewarriors, he had killed 13 black knights, the chapter master and the interrogator chaplain....Azzy managed to charge some dark reapers and the farseer warlord who fled off the board so i got slay the warlord, and I also wasn't tabled with 1 tactical marine on the table at the end of turn 5!

So enjoyed the tournament although a bit dissapointed I did no better than last time. Chapter master was good in the games I won, but otherwise was fairly irrelevant as so much firepower he still went down. Think the list needs more than just the rock unit, and the command squad on its own was not that effective. Back to the drawing board!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
So game4 typed out of my laptop

Mission: Purge the Alien and Vanguard Strike.

I was facing off against Mike Collins, who was running drop pod wolves, his list: 3xRune Priests, all with axes and meltabombs, each had jaws and 1 other power, 3x5 Wolfguard (Plasmas, Flamers and Meltas) in Drop Pods, 4x9 Grey Hunters 1 Meltagun in each (1 had arjac (str10 hammer, eternal warrior, 2 wounds, 3+ inv 2+ save, think Lone Wolf on crack!) in Drop Pods.

I get Fortune but not until my 5th roll which is now on the Farseer, then get Prescience with him as well.

I win the roll for turn1 and take it, all I've done is castled up and cast fortune turn1.

His turn1, he lands and hits with 4 drop pods, all4 hit with no scatter and land about 4" away from the Beastpack all 4 are the Grey Hunter pods, 3 have Rune Priests, 1 has Arjac... he casts Jaws once, I deny, he casts jaws a second time I deny, he casts jaws a third time, I fail to deny on a 4+ re-roll... he hits 2 Khymera, they pass the initiative tests, next up is the shard farseer with fortune, prescience and is fearless.. he rolls a 6... so is dead... then hits a swooping hawk, he's fine, then a Wraithknight, I roll a 6... so he dies...

Game over...

I assault 2x10 Grey Hunters, they smash my face in and I fail moral and run off the table, leaving just Jetbikes, Wraithknight, Hawks and Spiders... I try my best, but I'm 5-2 down on KPs turn2! Definatly game over, so I give up on trying to win the game and try to get some points out the game.. which is hard turn2 lol!

I scatter to the hills and rocks for cover, but he catches the Warp Spiders who only run 1" away and assault move 4".. so are caught a killed in combat after scattering towards Grey Hunters... the Hawks, 4 Jetbikes and 5 Kabalite warriors fail to kill 3 Wolf Guard in shooting and 4 rounds of combat... LMAO as Mike passes like 10 saves required on him... my last 3 turns are just spent protecting a line breaking Jetbike unit, by feeding a unit of Grey Hunters a Jetbike unit per turn, but in the other direction... so end the game fairly close on KPs s I tuck out a few drop pods along the way, the game ended something like 8 or 9 to 6 or 7 KPs, tp a a 2-19 loss, Mike was a nice opponent and went balls out and got lucky.

If I had kept either of the Farseer OR Wraithknight alive, it would have been a game as I could have gone around killing Drop pods for fun!

Game5

Crusade, Dawn of War.

I would be facing off against Nick again, like I said before, we did try to swap, but Harry was having none of it.

I got okay powers Wink, Fortune, Missfortune, Prescience, Shriek on Eldrad, Farseer, Guide, Prescience and Puppet Master. (pretty perfect, which also meant I got Fortune in every game and 4/5 on Eldrad :p)

I went first again, setting up centrally and waited to see what Nick would do, he deployed centrally again, but placed the Landraider and Riptide on the left flank.

Nick didn't steal, so I went first in every game lol

The Beastpack moved and ran forwards, the Wraithknights also pushed up and then did something awesome, the first rolled a 6 to wound against the Riptide, killing it, the second hit the Landraider getting 1 pen, which then failed to cover save, then rolled a 5, exploding it! Epically lucky, but this was basically it, bar something going drastically wrong, Nicks turn1 and the Deathstar hit the Bomb, but did little in shooting and in combat (4 Khymera died), I won the roll for hit and run and did so.

Turn2, missfortune was denied, when the Beastpack hit again it did little as did Nicks Deathstar to me.

Turn3, missfortune was denied again and so was Nicks, so combat was going slow with Nicks Chapter Master and Tig just grinding through the pack 1 or 2 Khymera at a time.

Turn4, my missfortune gets through and the Pack basically takes out Nicks deathstar, with just Coteaz, Chapter Master and 2 Centurions on one wound.

(turn2, 3, 4 and 5 the remaining Wraithknight, Warp Spiders and Hawks have take out the rest of Nicks army)

Turn5, The Beastpack wipes out the rest of Nicks deathstar to give me another tabling win for max tournament points and almost max victory points as 3 Jetbike units and the Warriors jump on 4 of the 5 objectives.

I end the tournament on 71pts out of 100 and 9th place. If things had gone better game4, I could have won this event, which is the first time I've ever been in contention of a large event! Which is a rather nice feeling! :p.

You can assault bikes onto it.

Quote:Page 115 – Fortifications, Skyshield Landing Pad.
Ignore the reference to Access Points & Fire Points.

It's a big hunk of metal that counts as difficult terrain to shinny up or down, like a big steep hill with a flat top.

all it says in the skyshield entry is that its open ground on top and to move onto or off the pad it counts as difficult terrain.

(i am working from memory here...so could be completely wrong, but i did assault onto one at BB3 with my Black Knights and it was ruled that i could)
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(17-02-2014, 09:38 AM)Simian Wrote: You can assault bikes onto it.

Quote:Page 115 – Fortifications, Skyshield Landing Pad.
Ignore the reference to Access Points & Fire Points.

It's a big hunk of metal that counts as difficult terrain to shinny up or down, like a big steep hill with a flat top.

all it says in the skyshield entry is that its open ground on top and to move onto or off the pad it counts as difficult terrain.

(i am working from memory here...so could be completely wrong, but i did assault onto one at BB3 with my Black Knights and it was ruled that i could)

Would have to be able to see the unit on top to charge it, makes it extremely difficult.

a valid point, however you could just move onto it assuming theres space.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(17-02-2014, 08:22 AM)Simian Wrote: Great stuff everyone.

and great work on the win Kev! always good walking away with at least one win!

Yeah me and Sam are having a game soon as he finished 47th same tournament points but -4 victory points so as we never played each other thought it would make a good grudge match with the same lists.
Salamanders 6000pts
Grey knights 1000pts
Into the fires of battle unto the anvil of war!
(17-02-2014, 10:23 AM)Simian Wrote: a valid point, however you could just move onto it assuming theres space.

OK good to know, guy I was playing told me I couldn't but then he seemed not to be aware of at least 4 other rules that I was sure about (glorious intervention, challenging a single model - initially said my bike sergeant couldn't challenge his chapter master, etc) and then I pointed out in the rulebook it was as I said it was.

This is the guy who eventually came 4th and is in the ETC, so very suprising he doesn't know the correct rules Dodgy cough...WAAC....cough!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(17-02-2014, 03:47 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(17-02-2014, 10:23 AM)Simian Wrote: a valid point, however you could just move onto it assuming theres space.

OK good to know, guy I was playing told me I couldn't but then he seemed not to be aware of at least 4 other rules that I was sure about (glorious intervention, challenging a single model - initially said my bike sergeant couldn't challenge his chapter master, etc) and then I pointed out in the rulebook it was as I said it was.

This is the guy who eventually came 4th and is in the ETC, so very suprising he doesn't know the correct rules Dodgy cough...WAAC....cough!

Despite how its modeled, its basically a hill thats difficult to get up and flat on the top.

very dodgy....but i can see the immediate visual challenge to them not getting up it!
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
(17-02-2014, 03:47 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:

Mate, if you think you're being gamed, just shout up, thats what I should have done at Winter Warm Up and will do in future.

I will start with, can they show the rule that says you can/cannot do something.

Then if the rule is not clear, just call of a ref over, no need to argue or anything.

Thats what I'll be doing, lifes to short to have petty arguements and I don't want my weekend ruined by someone trying to pull a fast one.

I know the player you're on about and he's... notorious for stuff like that, its the most diplomatic way I would put it, but away from the table he's actually quite a laugh, I had quite a few conversations with him over the weekend and I've played him once and I can say he's there to win and at pretty much any cost... but once he smashed my army, he was quite jovial... but before, it was game face time! Undecided

I had something happen in my round 4 yesterday. Had my opponent Parry my Thunderstomps. I knew he couldn't, but I had cast three Magic Missiles thinking they were Direct damage. So on the whole I we both cheated, so I never mentioned anything.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen