Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAGA FAQ September 2013
Latest FAQ: http://sd-2.archive-host.com/membres/up/...r_2013.pdf

Steve and Gaz, note amended rules on Javelins and Banners.

FAQ discussion: http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/post26172.html
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Whats the change to Javelins? I cannot find it, although I was aware of the banner changes.

*Found it*
To be honest its fair, and is closer to how I want to use them anyway. Move up, throw javelins (no fatigue bonus,) re-activate and move back. I guess some folks were moving,throwing,reactivate, move, throw, generate a fatigue. Still possible to double shot, for just one token, but you lose the second movement. However its not game breaking, and I was panicking there would be a fatigue on the first throw, or range reduction, or something terrible.

I think I am going to have to mount most of the models, for the tournament. Unless Im facing Normans. Their Crossbows and mounted armour, will be horrible.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Yep, that was it (section in red on page 4 of the FAQ relating to page 28 of the rulebook.)

And as noted on the forum, the FAQ section...

Quote:...the first Shooting or Movement activation of the turn does not generate FATIGUE, but any subsequent Shooting generates one FATIGUE. The FATIGUE is gained after the full resolution of the Shooting sequence.

...should ideally read...

Quote:...the first Shooting or Movement activation of the turn does not generate FATIGUE, but any subsequent Shooting ACTIVATION generates one FATIGUE. The FATIGUE is gained after the full resolution of the Shooting sequence.
Yeah I understand it. The way it did work with Javelins was

Activate 1 - Move -> Shoot
Activate 2 - Move -> Shoot -> Gain 1 Fatigue

Now its

Activate 2 - Move -> Gain Fatigue -> Shoot (Second shot can be altered.)

However I can still do

Activate 2 - Shoot -> Gain 1 Fatigue (Second shot cannot be altered.)

However the Welsh really want to get forward, throw, and move back. M ranged weapons really leaves them open to a counter charge. Unless I have a die sat on Hit and Run, there is no way you want to be too close, to anything that can do more damage then I can in Mêlée.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
That looks spot on.

Something else to be wary of is factions such as Anglo Danes who can dish out fatigue, potentially spending it to reduce your retreating movement distance.
Only going to be any use against either mounted (which should be fast enough,) or anything using hit and run. For a die (any result,) Children of the Land sorts that out, and Holy Ground will mess, any chasing Anglo-Danes up, as they cannot mount.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Absolutely, the obvious target for this is certainly going to be your pesky mounted units. Just got to be careful with those dice allocations, especially with 6 pts worth of units clamouring for activations.
And that's part of the reason I need to ask questions about the 7point lists. I'm not going anywhere near mounted units against certain armies. The Javelin/Mounted armour penalty against shooting for instance, makes mounted stuff a liability against Normans. On the other hand if you can alter deployed unit sizes, against Anglo-Danes multi mounted troops could cause you havoc.

I'm starting to enjoy SAGA, as there appears to be a great tactical element even before the game has begun. Similar to Malifaux, army creation at the table is something I really like.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(03-10-2013, 02:40 PM)Gareth Wrote: And that's part of the reason I need to ask questions about the 7point lists. I'm not going anywhere near mounted units against certain armies. The Javelin/Mounted armour penalty against shooting for instance, makes mounted stuff a liability against Normans. On the other hand if you can alter deployed unit sizes, against Anglo-Danes multi mounted troops could cause you havoc.

Assuming I've interpreted the question correctly, I've just checked the rules for the event at Total Wargamer and you could change the unit sizes deployed between games i.e. 8 Warriors for 1 point could be fielded as a single unit or two 4 man units in different games. Worth checking though for the Alvechurch event, although I would imagine the format would be similar.

(03-10-2013, 02:40 PM)Gareth Wrote: I'm starting to enjoy SAGA, as there appears to be a great tactical element even before the game has begun. Similar to Malifaux, army creation at the table is something I really like.

Totally agree, I like the balance of a simple set of core rules combined with the element of national "flavour" and tactics added by the individual battleboards.
(03-10-2013, 03:06 PM)Stuart Wrote:
(03-10-2013, 02:40 PM)Gareth Wrote: And that's part of the reason I need to ask questions about the 7point lists. I'm not going anywhere near mounted units against certain armies. The Javelin/Mounted armour penalty against shooting for instance, makes mounted stuff a liability against Normans. On the other hand if you can alter deployed unit sizes, against Anglo-Danes multi mounted troops could cause you havoc.

Assuming I've interpreted the question correctly, I've just checked the rules for the event at Total Wargamer and you could change the unit sizes deployed between games i.e. 8 Warriors for 1 point could be fielded as a single unit or two 4 man units in different games. Worth checking though for the Alvechurch event, although I would imagine the format would be similar.

I am expecting that points can be altered and combined as normal. It's more the equipment. I can take a Warlord mounted or not, do I choose pre event. Same for Warriors and Hearthguard. As it is I can spend 3 points on Hearthguard, and take 6 mounted and 6 on foot, as two units, or 4 mounted and 8 on foot as two units, or even 5 mounted and 7 on foot. If I have to choose how the points are equipped pre event, that locks tactics in, before I see my opponent, and you have to build in a degree of redundancy into the army. The same could be asked about Normans. One unit of upto 8 Warriors can be equipped with Crossbows. If you selected two points, you might want to split them 6 and 10, only getting 6 Crossbows, the next game you might want to split them 8 and 8, but if you were locked at a max of 6 crossbows, that option would be removed. Dane axes, might be great against Joms-Vikings who have no ranged, but against anything with crossbows, the -2 armour, makes your unit dead before it gets into Melee.

Long winded explanation, so I apologise, but normally in a list, you choose unit sizes and equipment. The fact that Saga allows you to tailor equipment at the table, means that a list is more or less redundant, particually with an extra point, if you can tailor. I did a Malifaux event with a 55ss list, but the fact that at the time, models came as they were, and could not be changed, means that the event isn't something I can draw upon, as previous similar experience.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen