Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnifying Glass
I remember, vaguely, from the amongst the first of the club's meetings, speaking to someone about painting and mentioning that a magnifying glass would be useful which prompted a response of "Such & such a place has a lamp + magnifying glass combo".

Does anyone remember (I'm thinking Stuart or Simon) speaking to me about this and, I guess more to the point, where the shop was? Wilkinson rings a bell but that could be because my better half seems to find everything she ever needs from there for a bargain price.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
That does ring a bell, and I was talking to Paul about such a device at the meeting last night. I do have a magnifying glass on an anglepoise arm with a (non-working) light, but I've been trying to find a daylight bulb for it without success. I think the bulb fitting might be a strange one, and I'll probably just end up buying a whole new device so let me know if you find one!

I think PSW (the stationery shop) in Studley might do them, but I'm guessing they wouldn't be that cheap. The only other place that springs to mind is Hobbycraft, so might be worth checking out their local branches at either Webbs of Wychbold or the one on the same business park as Toys R Us in Shirley.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
The magnifying lamp I have is this one.

I chose this one over the desktop lamps because the tubes are readily available from maplin and it was a lot cheaper.
I'll have to get one
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Simon I picked one of those Daylight/Magnifying glass lamps yesterday. Worst thing I have ever done. I can see how horrid my painting is now, and I thought it was adequate before. However it is well worth the money.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Hobbycraft had some desktop magnifiers on sale for £19.99 in their Shirley store yesterday. That particular model takes LC8093/T 12W circular fluorescent tubes - possibly not the best light to be painting by, but might be worth a look for painting the odd detail here and there.
The magnifying glass from Maplin that Simon mentioned is currently on offer at £24.99 (+ £2.99 delivery unless you spend £35) until October 4th. There's 7% cashback from Quidco too.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/22w-fluorescent-...lamp-47980
Mine arrived today, and I'm very impressed with it. The light it gives off is perfect for painting, and the lens is much bigger than it looks in the pictures on the Maplin site.
How is the magnification on the lens? That sounds like a silly question but essentially one of my key problems is that I have to take off my glasses to paint which in turns causes eye strain and that leads to headaches. Hence my desire for a means to zoom in to the models.

If only real life had Pinch & Zoom Sad
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
I think it's something like 3X magnification - seems quite "gentle" if that makes sense. I can bring it in next week so can you try it if you like?