Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlefield Birmingham IV
Sorry Rob, must of missed this reply!

(21-08-2013, 04:25 PM)GoNecrons Wrote: Very enjoyable it was too. I did have one unit that was scoring left, the immortals, duking it out with your HQ. They did not punch through but if freed could have veils and been lost in the warp turn 5/6 trying to land on an objective :O)

Ah yes! thats right, the Autarch and Immortals fought each other to a stalemate, much like the battle, I also had a squad of Dire Avengers on an objective contested by the Overlord.

Quote:The night spinner was epic but the night scythes where mine :O) (too many night things here). That commander of awesomeness, as you called him, he really is a daddy. The tides on their own need marker lights or that commander to buff or they struggle I think. Tau as allies don't benefit from the marklights (less units that can use them) so I ended up with the commander.

I like that combo (Commander awesome and his Riptide buddy), I've been reading in more depth the Tau codex, did the commander have Multi-Spec Suit to ignore cover, because thats awesome on a Riptide. (I have a feeling you did as I didn't get cover for my Wraithlords) Their are some really nasty things in the Tau codex, not just the weapons... I like the fragile Sniper drones... It's a tough target priority list what do you shoot first.. Riptide? Sniper Drones (for firstblood)? Annihilation Barges? Night Scythes? or any other infantry you care to throw into the mix (outflanking Kroot anyone?), all for under 1500pts! It's a top list Rob and I was glad to escape with a draw! I can see it really messing up most opponents at BB4.

Quote:The ion cannon is nice for the 5 point upgrade to add intercept. Deep striking units all bunched up (including my immortals) will hurt bad from the St8 Ap2 hit. The commander can twin link this template too but I don't think it works on intercept? Your wraith lords are tough to kill for loads of armies. Not everyone has super bad ass snipers. My Necons would have had to ingored the two lords which would have given you 5/6 turns with the bright lances to rip up what you wanted.

Your right about the intercept, it states if the commander doesn't shoot in his shooting phase the weapons are TL. I'm going to drop the Wraithlords for something cheaper.. War Walkers where way too fragile and as you no, I cannot pass a 5+ save for toffee or even a 4+ lol (I didn't pass a single 4+ jink save all game...?

Quote:I was proud of myself for not using the Nova charge all game **pats own back**. It is so tempting!! but sucks when it does not work. I don't like the skyfire option on the riptide but it is cheaper than putting it on the commander and buying him missile pods. I like the redundancy his intercepting missiles gives even if it is expensive.

I think you should only Nova charge when in desperate need! Sky Fire on the Riptide makes it awesome and like you said it makes him the swiss army knife of your army... well more the sledge hammer.

I'm changing my army up quite a bit, I don't think the Wraithlords can cut it, too many snipers about, Riptides, Wraithknights and flying Deamon Princes can still cut it as they have more wounds, a better save or are flying to don't really need to worry about snipers...

I think I have a list I'm totally happy with and we'll see how it does against Chris tonight!

So after a bit of a one sided game last night against Chris, I think the list for the league and battlefield birmingham has been sorted.

Chris/Rob/Nick are you free for more practice games next month?

My Schedule:
3/9 - Ben
10/9 - Big Rob?
17/9 - Vince
24/9 - Nick
1/10 - Chris

Having seen your list Rob, its pretty scary. Im trying to think of a hard counter i can do with Eldar and im struggling for ideas.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(28-08-2013, 07:54 AM)Simian Wrote: Having seen your list Rob, its pretty scary. Im trying to think of a hard counter i can do with Eldar and im struggling for ideas.

Cheers Ben,

Yeah I spent a long time reading the codex and coming up with what I wanted, 1500pts is quite a restrictive pts level and I've really enjoyed the challenge of coming up with a list thats fun (at least for me) to play with and is competitive...

I think my Wave Serpent list is probably a better list, but I really enjoyed using this list.

1500 is pretty restrictive, the list i was using last night was:

Warlock x 2,
Farseer (spirit stone singing spear),
10x dire avengers,
wave serpent (Crystal Targetting Matrix, Ghostwalk Matrix , Holo-fields , Serpent Field, Shuriken cannom, Twin-linked scatter lasers)
2 x 10 defenders (with bright lance platforms)
5 rangers,
5 warpspiders exarch fast shot spinneret,
4 dark reapers exarch, fast shot, night vision. Fire prism (Crystal Targetting Matrix, Ghostwalk, Holo-fields, Prism cannon, Shuriken cannon)

it actually works fairly well together as there's a hell of a lot of shooting and the pseudo rend bladestorm is excellent, but it does struggle against mech. it took me 3 turns to take down the land raider and rhino. and it took my entire army to kill 6 terminators.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
I thought the Eldar jet bikes where ace and if you can keep a couple of squads you should. They will win you games.

Commander awesome was 217pts of awesome. Almost as much as Immoteks the storm lord. I am sure he will come under the trimming knife. My scoring warriors are also my heavy tank hunters. Not ideal.

If I trim the commander and loose the veiltek I can add a third night scythe. Tough call but will probably go that way.
Ticket paid for! Big Grin

Thinking of taking this list to BB4:

Sammael - corvex = 200
Librarian – level 2, bike, displacer field, force sword = 145
Ravenwing Command Squad – 5 bikes, 1 grenade launcher, apothecary = 230
Ravenwing Attack Squadron – 6 bikes, 2 meltaguns, attack bike (multi-melta) = 236
Ravenwing Attack Squadron – 5 bikes, 2 flamers, attack bike (multi-melta) = 199
Ravenwing Attack Squadron - 3 bikes, 2 meltaguns, attack bike (multi-melta) = 155
Assault Squad - 5 marines, 2 flamers, serge with combi-flamer, drop pod = 105
total 1500pts

The librarian will probably roll twice on divination hoping for ignores cover/reroll failed saves (libby)/reroll successful saves (enemy).

There is no banner, so the flamers are there to deal with IG blobs and ork/tyranid swarms.

I could take the banner of dev on one unit by dropping the assault marines or lvl2 on the libby and an apothecary. Alternatively I could try and sneak in a darkshroud for stealth on the command squads. Lastly is the libby worth it? I could swap him out for an Int chaplain on bike with mace of redemption (+3S AP3, concussive) for 160pts for more combat punch.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I think the dark shroud would be a winner against all the mass fire power armys which I assume is what wel all be facing! With the new Tau and Eldar books along with marines that +1 to your bikes cover could be the difference, especially if you moved forward in a 'blob'. I don't think you'll face to many guard\tyranid\ork hordes from what I've seen at previous tournaments so maybe Melta instead of flamers? The grenade launchers could also be a game changer (if I remember rightly they lower toughness?) instant killing marine centurions (of which I assume there will be loads) and the Necron lords with s8 is always helpful as well as wounding standard marines/immortals on 3+ with standard bolters. Lets not forget riptides and wraith knights too!

The only issue you might face (which is the same issue my favourite blood angels list faces) is dealing with Necron airforce HELLDRAKES and guard vendettas. Hell drakes (of which there are usually lots) would probably put a dent in your army pretty quick with the ap3 (obviously you don't get your cover against flamers) but I really don't know how to deal with them, other than dedicated anti air or some decent flyers.

But yeah we need to come up with army's that can beat Necron airforce and wraiths, eldar grav tanks and riptides (by the dozen) bad times Lol really looking forward to it though! It's always a fun weekend! RedWarSoc T shirts anyone? :p
(07-09-2013, 08:07 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Thinking of taking this list to BB4:

Sammael - corvex = 200
Librarian – level 2, bike, displacer field, force sword = 145
Ravenwing Attack Squadron – 6 bikes, 2 meltaguns, attack bike (multi-melta) = 236
Ravenwing Attack Squadron – 5 bikes, 2 flamers, attack bike (multi-melta) = 199
Ravenwing Attack Squadron - 3 bikes, 2 meltaguns, attack bike (multi-melta) = 155
Assault Squad - 5 marines, 2 flamers, serge with combi-flamer, drop pod = 105
total 1500pts

The librarian will probably roll twice on divination hoping for ignores cover/reroll failed saves (libby)/reroll successful saves (enemy).

There is no banner, so the flamers are there to deal with IG blobs and ork/tyranid swarms.

I could take the banner of dev on one unit by dropping the assault marines or lvl2 on the libby and an apothecary. Alternatively I could try and sneak in a darkshroud for stealth on the command squads. Lastly is the libby worth it? I could swap him out for an Int chaplain on bike with mace of redemption (+3S AP3, concussive) for 160pts for more combat punch.

I really like this list! Helldrakes will screw this list (Vector Strike then Flamer will remove 90% of a squad x3 per turn from turn2 onwards...) Combat can protect you turn2 when all the Helldrakes come on, so look for squads like Marines that cannot do much to hurt/escape you, but you won't chew through them, so you remain locked, the helldrakes come on and do little/nothing and don't forget Hit & Run... so you move out of combat, then remove whatever squads you want through mass fire power! hopefully.. you'll have done enough damage to the Chaos/Daemons troops you should be okay... just about... Well that how I'd play it.