Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayland and Maelstrom
Things have finally "gone public," between Maelstrom and Wayland. Bit of a slanging match, which isn't great to read, but some open clarity is useful, for any interested parties.

Last weekend I had a fantastic time at the Eye, and bought something from the store, despite my reservations about the owners debts, to the public. To offer items for sale, knowing you could never fulfil, baring a supplier giving you stock, is disgusting. However in whatever form, I feel that for providing the venue, I owed them at least one purchase. I feel that EotS and Maunsfield will never get a online sale from me, but if I can physically walk away with product, that I will make an exception.

All I think we as the gaming public can hope for, is that this is as bad as it gets. MG have acted in a way to try and protect the public, although that has harmed far more, than drawing a line in the sand, would have done. Their actions, if their statement is to be believed, were made in good faith. WG have acted firstly protect themselves, but will hopefully see everyone retailer prosper from their act, which is great for us gamers.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Some background to the recent events that Gaz is referring to:

Statement from Maelstrom Games: https://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/

Statement from Wayland Games: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/downloads/...Action.pdf
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Interesting. Sounds to me like maelstrom needed to face the music a lot earlier and were unwilling to. Sounds like wayland have made a hard decision (purchasing a debt that can't be repaid in full) to protect their suppliers, or at least force the closure of a competitor. I definitely won't be risking buying from eye of the storm online, but hope their gaming venue does well. Hopefully wayland and others won't make the same mistake.

With all the online stores there does seem to be a lot of competition, and although I don't know the figures I imagine margins must be fairly tight, so in an economic dip I guess it was fairly likely someone would go under Sad
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Simple Minature Games have piped up with their say. SMG are one of the UKs biggest distributors. And the only UK distributed of Wyrd produce.

Linky Linky
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Ouch so Maelstrom were siphoning off money into their own miniature line and other interests, that should have been used to repay debts. Doesn't sound good.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Why would you continue to buy stock from them at the store knowing that they have treated their online customers so badly. The quicker companies like these are gone the better the industry will be. Venue or not, they won't recieve a single penny from me whether over the counter or online.
Shame, I use to order bits and pieces from Maelstrom and I still had £10 credit with them. If this is the way the owner is going to conduct his business then they certainly won't be getting any more money from me, nor do I intend to attend any events at the venue. Reputation is everything and they have completely tarnished theirs.

I won't condemn or judge anyone for going there and buying things, its up to the individual and if they feel the venue is worth supporting then that's up to them.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Pretty crappy business practices going on, from both maelstrom and wayland, maelstrom more obvious of course, Wayland for trying to buy the ailing maelstrom, failing, then buying their debt and demanding it back in full within a week was it? Knowing full well Maelstrom couldn't re-pay, leaving no other choice otehr than them to close. Ruthless stuff from Wayland! Which will leave many out of pocket.

And from the looks of it, I don't think Maelstrom really care, because they get to keep the gaming hall, shop, bar and from what I've read, stock as well. Which looks to have already been transferred to the eye of whatever they're called now... Leaving many customers out of pocket.

Pretty poor on both sides IMO.

I think Wayland shutting them down seems the far lesser of two evils from what i've read.
I played at the eye of the storm for the UK GT and got my ass kicked a few months ago. I came in 5th from the bottom of about 50 or 60 peeps. As far as venues go it was good. They have the shop with cool painting on display, a white haired goth girl behind the licences bar and great custard pudding desserts. Everything a venue should have.

We can't forget selling toys is a business so lots of nasty things can and will happen. GW constantly changes terms, creates world wide embargoes and increase prices over and above the current inflation rates. I will think twice about visiting the eye of the storm again as they have done a number on alot of people and caused upset to the other distributors.

I am surprised they managed to keep the other parts of the business up and running. I would say they under the same management control and would be jointly liable.

I will not prepay and tickets to any events their!