Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Club Scenery
Certain things would be better to DIY, for example the Rocky outcrops.
GF9 do a box for £16 with 7 pieces as here- http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/gale-force...18335.html
I could mount some styrofoam on some MDF, hotwire cut it and paint some up very similar for around a £5 for roughly 10 (probably less).
So in that instance i would DIY some would be the better option.

Whereas buildings as such these http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/micro-art-...15747.html i doubt anyone would have the time to create from scratch, in this instance buying would be the better option.
I personnally think we should discuss budget for terrain first and then see how we are going to allocate that budget to decide on what we want.
(18-10-2012, 09:56 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: All sounds good to me, I think once we've got a plan (i.e. a box per table) and some decent storage sorted out we may wish to look at buying some of the GW/Forgeworld plastic scenery with some of the clubs funds but we'd obviously need to be sure it was going to pay for itself first.
I think eBay or GF9 is the better option as it is more generic looking and can be used for mutiple systems and is cheaper, though some of the Gw stuff would be good as well.
I don't think we could go the Forgeworld route as that stuff is silly expensive, although very nice looking.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(18-10-2012, 10:07 AM)manrogue Wrote: I personnally think we should discuss budget for terrain first and then see how we are going to allocate that budget to decide on what we want.

I think this is the best course of action

I'll chip in and say that I think a themed box for each table would be great, but also would probably take a lot of sorting out but it's a good thing to aim for. Would make setting up and clearing away quick and easy. I also think the GW terrain is a bit on the expensive side, surely there are enough people who could make 1 terrain piece in a couple of months - much cheaper and more fun. I will join vince in getting the ball rolling and volunteer myself to make a terrain piece by the end of nov for the club! Like someone said, there is quite a bit of scenery, but some could do with an upgrade.

i also agree that the powers that be (ie the commitee) should decide on a terrain budget before going crazy! sounds like a good plan, and buying raw materials and getting people to make stuff for the club sounds great, although some of the cheaper peices from gf9 like vince was suggetsing might be ok too.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(18-10-2012, 10:07 AM)manrogue Wrote: Certain things would be better to DIY, for example the Rocky outcrops.
GF9 do a box for £16 with 7 pieces as here- http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/gale-force...18335.html
I could mount some styrofoam on some MDF, hotwire cut it and paint some up very similar for around a £5 for roughly 10 (probably less).
So in that instance i would DIY some would be the better option.

Whereas buildings as such these http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/micro-art-...15747.html i doubt anyone would have the time to create from scratch, in this instance buying would be the better option.
I personnally think we should discuss budget for terrain first and then see how we are going to allocate that budget to decide on what we want.
(18-10-2012, 09:56 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: All sounds good to me, I think once we've got a plan (i.e. a box per table) and some decent storage sorted out we may wish to look at buying some of the GW/Forgeworld plastic scenery with some of the clubs funds but we'd obviously need to be sure it was going to pay for itself first.
I think eBay or GF9 is the better option as it is more generic looking and can be used for mutiple systems and is cheaper, though some of the Gw stuff would be good as well.
I don't think we could go the Forgeworld route as that stuff is silly expensive, although very nice looking.

I agree we should set a budget, I'd only propose purchasing certain items that could not easily be recreated ourselves. Forgeworld is silly expensive so think we can probably rule that out. Pricing of GW terrain I find varies, sometimes things are good value, sometimes bad. I quite like the gothic/40k buildings they have at the mo.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
sounds like a great idea,andy always brings lots of stuff for our fow games an the more terrain the better seems to be the way,otherwise it turn into a long range slugging match, i know i've got a few gw buildings hiding here i'll donate,its been a wile since i made an stuff i suppose i better dug out my stanley knife.
other alias-jim
current projects-drop-zone commander(ucm/phr),bolt action(everything)
The idea of a themed box for each table is good but in the long term that might fall apart as stuff gets used on several tables to represent important locations or something. Also it runs the risk of getting a bit "samey" plus with the amount of different scale and settings of the games played that could lead needing multiple boxes for each table of each theme.

Possibly a long term goal but in the short term maybe just aiming for several boxes of each theme for people to pick and mix from ?? That way you can create mixed themes, eg, one week play industrial theme and the next week use half of the scenery again but mix it with trees to have a battle based in an old factory lost in the jungle or something.

also to help with the budget for scenery maybe ask for donations towards it maybe ? I have the artistic talent of a 6 week old dead frog so wont be making any but would happily put some money towards it after christmas.
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
We do actually have quite a bit of scenery already. kindly made and donated or loaned by folk. Sadly what we see is at end of night a lot of it gets 'dumped' back in the boxes with little care and this means stuff gets flattened. broken, etc. There are some very nice pieces of kit on loan from folk that now show damage and personally I think that is appalling...

The idea is the quartermasters will take responsibility for terrain.

Initially the suggestion is they sort what we currently have that's half decent into themed boxes. These can then be booked out with a table.

We need to let the QMs know what terrain we want. So it would be very helpful and valuable is for people to provide suitable lists of terrain for themed boxes for what they do. So 40kers list say 12 pieces of terrain for a 40k urban box, or a desert planet box, or whatever...
fantasy players do the same, malifaux, FoW 15mm, and so on.

QMs can then use them so we can start making, buying, collecting from there. An organised approach with all you folk already volunteering your services wont take long.

It doesn't have to be the same box content week after week that gets boring, the QMs can mix and match, etc.

So once sorted QMs might announce this month we are making a Tao box and we need x, y and z making, any volunteers... and hopefully job done.

At the end of the day folk will have a set of good terrain pieces to enhance the enjoyment of their game and can then take the time to put safely back in the boxes and return.

If stuff gets damaged make it known to the QMs and it gets repaired or replaced and the broken bit demoted to a box of 'other stuff' that is there for anyone who hasn't booked a box to use etc.

QMs are responsible, let them know what you want and they will plan how it will be achieved Smile
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Creating mix and match boxes for each table when we have so many tables would need for the QM's to either take the scenery away with them to sort it into boxes or you run the risk of a delay for games at the beginning of each night as the QM's have lots of boxes to sort out which mixed with them dealing with the scenery at the end of the night too seriously cuts into their gaming time and possibly others.

I might be nit picking but id rather we considered these problems now than discover them when the system goes into use :-)

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
Also can i suggest some of the first scenery we might want to look at getting a "full set" of would the fortifications now they are purchasable as army choices in 40k 6th ed.

Oh and the necromunda scenery seems to be in a bad way .

Well with the necromunda scenery, I have a couple of boxes that I have been taking home with me and bringing in every week. I'm bringing it in even if I'm not playing that week and am happy to lend to people if they need it for a game but I don't want to leave it at the club, since I want to keep it.

Secondly, is it me or do we have very little in the way of woods? I'd like to humbly request more woods please.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari