Poll: Would the Venom get a cover save?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
100.00%
6 100.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover or no cover that is the question?
We have had true line of slight for a while in 40k and models eye view rules per pg 8 of the BRB. We had a difference of opinion last night of how this works with Dan's Dark Eldar Venom (The one with a true born on its right wing). We both thought we were doing it right/wrong. We resolved the issue and moved on.

I would like to know how we should have played it. So would this Venom get a cover save from the menacing Necron Night Scythe? The guns are located at the bottom of the flyer. It would get a jink 5+ save anyway but we ruled that the cover (sand bags just in front of it) where fortified and granted a 4+ save.

Vehicles need to be 25% obscured to get a cover save per the pictures on pg 75 BRB so I said it did not. The opposing argument (Dan please chip in if I got it wrong) is that the cover is 25% in front of the vehicle even if it is not obscuring it.

A picture is worth 1000 words.

or on links

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86008306@N05/8026412166/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86008306@N05/8026337784/

Would it get a cover save? Thoughts welcome both sides. It was a mute point in the end as it was realised on the last turn that night vision on all the DE units would have stopped alot of my cover saves through out the game as it was night fight for three turns thanks to Imotekh.

Dan cheers for the game. We needed alot more time to finish it. I know you felt rubbish with your recent trip to the dentist and I Appreciated you coming to play our game.
Sorry pictures are so massive!!!!
I would have to with a no as the actual model is in full view and as far as i am aware, you go model to model, not base to base. Thats how you go with moving a vehicle, shooting from a vehicle, and should be the same for working out cover saves in my opinion.
Its one of the reasons Flyers are so deadly as they have a high vantage point to stop a lot of cover saves.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Nope, no cover save there in my opinion.

BYB is pretty clear in my opinion, TLOS is TLOS (as they say on Imgur Smile ) and you take TLOS down the weapon length. Skimmers got the jink rule (imho) precisely because it's harder to get a cover save for them due to the base they are on...
40k: Bloodimps (Custom Blood Angels chapter )

"Cake for the cake god!"
(26-09-2012, 03:41 PM)Sincilbanks Wrote: Nope, no cover save there in my opinion.
Skimmers got the jink rule (imho) precisely because it's harder to get a cover save for them due to the base they are on...

Seconded.

Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
No because the hull of the vehicle has to be in cover, not the base. the base is not part of the vehicle, it's hovering. I'm afraid the venom is in plain sight! it is actually the same with non-vehicle models (correct me if I'm wrong since this is from memory), it's if the model is 25% obscured that it is counted as in cover, the base is irrelevant in terms of whether it's in cover or not.

Night vision on DE is a big boon for them esp against Necrons!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
No cover, unless it's a jink, cover or not as the case maybe is determined from the hull and that Venom is no-where near in cover :p

The poll should read does the Venom get an improved cover save from the wall. As it gets it's standard Jink cover save as it moved.

Thanks for the replies.
LOL - the answer is nope.