Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap 2mm MDF?
Any one know where i can get some cheap 2mm Mdf to use as basing for my terrain bits?
Tried ebay but the delivery cost is silly!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I was looking for exactly the same thing just last week - in the end I settled for 3mm MDF available in large sheets from Wickes. That's what I used for basing those tube sections in your Necromunda game.

The 2mm stuff is often available from art material suppliers for use as backing board.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I am also after some. If you find some let me know where and I will pick it up via work somehow. That's anywhere in Uk-ish.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
I have bought some floor boards and cut them down to size to base my hill on. What was you planning to use it for Paul? Basing scenery?
Blood bowl Skaven
There are a few places countrywide doing the standard sized 2440 x 1220 sheets - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2mm+md...21&bih=920

Might need cutting down for ease of transportation!
Right... Sorry I didn't reply earlier Vince, was doing a search through Stu's link...

Scenery basing = yes. I have quite a lot of old scenery that needs a bit of TLC, and a lot of stuff ready to become scenery. I am looking at having bases that are 25mm bigger all round than the scenery. So figures are standing at the right height.

I also want to do some unit sized bases to cover with metal sheet stuff for magnets to use as movement trays, but without the usual lip around the trays. I have made a load using 2mm corrugated card which have been fine, but not working quite right for me, do inevitably get a bit bent and so on.

I used to work in a timber yard in Stourbridge and I know the boss there would get me/us some 2mm if I asked, but he may need to buy a pack of 50 or something ridiculous so maybe not.

Anyway, I have got half a sheet of white faced hard board in the garage so I am going to use that first.

Had a look at what Stu has done with the 3mm stuff and that looks great too, so maybe not a problem.

The key for me is having enough scenery base overlap such that figures against the wall or whatever are at the right height, not an extra 3mm lower than they should be etc.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
I agree, thought Stu's scenery bases looked an ideal size for what i am going for as well. Stu mentioned getting a big piece and splitting it, i am up for this if if you guys are?
Blood bowl Skaven
Wickes do the 3mm sheets in 3x607x1829mm @ £7.39 and 3x606x1220mm @ £6.69 - I got the latter (smaller) sheet of the two as it seemed to be the only one they had in stock when I was there, but it's plenty big enough for a good number of scenery pieces.

If we do stumble across some large 2mm sheets I'm definitely up for splitting some. I can even put a saw through the sheet I have if anyone wants a smaller section?
Think i will be taking you up on that offer Stu, it is pain for me to cut anything down due to lack of space at the min(still waiting on my garage.....)
Blood bowl Skaven
Let me know what sort of sizes you want (and how many) and I'll get some sawn for you.