Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Scenics Tree Tutorial
Via a trip to Webbs to replenish our stock of Ushabti Bone (Bleached Bone), we couldn't help noticing the Woodland Scenics range of supplies for making your own terrain. We found a set which Antenociti's Workshop also sells called Tree Armatures (it was a set of 12) and they looked like descent quality, too. There was also a various selection of foilage ranging from is being broken up and loose in the bag to big, solid clusters of foam. We decided to pick up a set of the Armatures and two different colours of clusters to acompany them. We then had to pick up a small pot of tacky glue called Hob
b-E-Tac which has a similar consistency and appearence to PVA glue, but remains sticky permanently and dries clear. This is going to be a tutorial on how to make them.

Altogether, the combined materials that are needed for this are:
  • Woodland Scenics Tree Armatures

• A selection of Woodland Scenics Foilage Clusters (A range is best, but
    just one shade works fine)

• Hob-E-Tac

• Something (like a bit of paper) to wipe excess Hob-E-Tac off with
  • A Crafting Knife

First of all, I took out one of the armatures and slotted it into it's base. Then, I bended and twisted the branches of the tree around to make them look more realistic. It looked like this:

When that was all done and it looked even and rounded enough, I got the Hob-E-Tac and applied it to the branches. Looking at real trees helped for this, as it helped to see where the leaves on a tree actually grow and which areas to apply the Hob-E-Tac. It now looked like this:

Although it said that it should only take around 15 minutes for the Hob-E-Tac to dry, it seemed to take quite a bit longer for me, but when it was finally dry enough, it was time for me to apply the foilage. I just stuck with one colour of foam, but if your intentions were to do a proper forest, then you could mix and match it between the trees. Now, it looked like this, and this pretty much was the finished product, other than a few little bits of touching up.

So that took me around 35 minutes to do, including drying time and from the looks of it, it was a well-spent 35 minutes. We'll bring a few to the club in a couple of week's time - if I get time to do more than one, anyway!
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)

Messages In This Thread
Woodland Scenics Tree Tutorial - by Luke the Squig - 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
RE: Woodland Scenics Tree Tutorial - by Stuart - 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: Woodland Scenics Tree Tutorial - by jaqenhgar - 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM