Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Middle Earth Battle Companies
When are we looking to start? I still don't have my Iron Hills stuff yet but I have some Gondor ready to go in the meantime.
DZC: UCM
DFC: UCM and PHR
Saga: Gall Gaidheal
Bolt Action: Heer Panzergrens
Warzone: Capitol
Epic: Orks and Marines
Necromunda, Mordheim, BFG, Frostgrave..basically anything that isn't 40K or the abomination that is Age of Sigmar.
I'm going to go for Minas Tirith as I have the models already!
40k - Orks / SM / Drukhari / AM
Bloodbowl - Dwarves
SBG - Minas Tirith
I knocked this up the other day, believe this all that have expressed an interest but I've missed anyone then let me know;

Some people still have yet to confirm factions, or chose. I don't have the book, is there a campaign system in the book or not?

If not, maybe it's best to do this as a league system?

Also anyone have any idea how long a game takes? (Chris maybe?), as if you can fit two into an evening then it's probably best to do it once a month and everyone come on the same night.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
Nice one Luke, think it runs a bit like Necromunda, so you just arrange games and your faction gains skills/injuries/reinforcements. Also get a rating so if you play a more powerful battle company you effectively get more influence which means you level up quicker.

League system would work well as spreads who we play out. I've had a couple of games with my boys and I reckon you can easily fit two games in a night, if not 3. So I would suggest arranging an evening - maybe 13th Feb for the first one - so that people can play a game, then swap opponents, with a time limit of 7 - 8:30 for first game, 8:30 - 10 for 2nd. Reckon you can fit a game and the rolls in in an hour really cos it's just Lotr with a handful of models a side. Lots of diff scenarios in book that you can roll for.

Anybody who misses an evening could be free to play someone else who missed it that month. Should remain fairly flexible.

Sound good?

btw I am going for the Shire Smile
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(30-01-2018, 01:38 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Nice one Luke, think it runs a bit like Necromunda, so you just arrange games and your faction gains skills/injuries/reinforcements. Also get a rating so if you play a more powerful battle company you effectively get more influence which means you level up quicker.

League system would work well as spreads who we play out. I've had a couple of games with my boys and I reckon you can easily fit two games in a night, if not 3. So I would suggest arranging an evening - maybe 13th Feb for the first one - so that people can play a game, then swap opponents, with a time limit of 7 - 8:30 for first game, 8:30 - 10 for 2nd. Reckon you can fit a game and the rolls in in an hour really cos it's just Lotr with a handful of models a side. Lots of diff scenarios in book that you can roll for.

Anybody who misses an evening could be free to play someone else who missed it that month. Should remain fairly flexible.

Sound good?

btw I am going for the Shire Smile

Cool thanks Chris, sounds good to me! I'll update you to the Shire.

Though that might be the case with the game length, as I remember playing a couple of games when they first introduced the rules in the magazines and it being quite short.

League system seems good, we can always work it like the Dropfleet one so people don't end up playing the same person each time.

I'm happy to help manage this and keep track of scores if required, I can always bring my laptop with me on the night
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
(30-01-2018, 01:38 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: btw I am going for the Shire Smile

Excellent choice - they'll be great fun Big Grin
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(30-01-2018, 12:35 PM)LukeR Wrote: I don't have the book, is there a campaign system in the book or not?

If not, maybe it's best to do this as a league system?

Also anyone have any idea how long a game takes? (Chris maybe?), as if you can fit two into an evening then it's probably best to do it once a month and everyone come on the same night.

The campaign system is quite like Mordheim although it is simplified. Characters gain better stats and skill although 'minions' don't improve directly, they can be promoted to a better model as the campaign progresses, for example a Minas Tirith swordsman-> Minas Tirith Knight. There is a limited crossover between the mission played and the warbands themselves (one of the injury rolls for heroes forces you to play a specific mission or the hero dies) but in general its a case of rolling for the scenario and playing a game.

You can buy equipment and gain reinforcements via 'influence' which is earned by playing games. There is also a short narrative campaign but it isn't well suited to large groups and as it will require a lot of addition models it can safely be ignored.

Games are very short. I had a game that lasted a whole 18 minutes in it's entirety but the average was probably about 35-40. It's standard SBG rules with a low model count, it really doesn't take long. I managed to fit in 5 games in about 2.5 hours.
Necromunda, Mordheim, BFG, Frostgrave..basically anything that isn't 40K or the abomination that is Age of Sigmar.
This all sounds great Smile I'll have to miss the first battles as I won't be able to make the club now till March unless im lucky but it sounds like it won't be to hard to catch back up.
I'm thinking I'll probably go for a gundabad warband, if that's possible?
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

I better get in my loft and find some models!
40k - Orks / SM / Drukhari / AM
Bloodbowl - Dwarves
SBG - Minas Tirith
(30-01-2018, 04:59 PM)will Wrote: This all sounds great Smile I'll have to miss the first battles as I won't be able to make the club now till March unless im lucky but it sounds like it won't be to hard to catch back up.
I'm thinking I'll probably go for a gundabad warband, if that's possible?

Dol Guldur is the closest, starting out with the OP Hunter orcs and a couple of Wargs with Gundabad Orcs as potential reinforcements. IIRC there is a proper Gundabad warband in WD at some point.