Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: The Society (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: New Members (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=3234)

Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stephen Pugh - 15-12-2017

Hello everyone.
I've visited the RWS several times in the past but not with any regularity.
I'm looking to get back into wargaming after a lay off of almost a year due to the birth of my baby daughter 6 months ago.

I am keen all things fantasy and so would be interested in games of Warhammer, AOS, KOW, or Dragon Rampant. I've never played LOTR but would be willing to start with a warband sized retinue to begin with.

I'd also like to know if there would be interest in a regular painting sessions at the club?

I'm looking to start back in February 2018.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Steve Smile

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stuart - 15-12-2017

Welcome back Steve!

I know there's some interest in the imminent Battle Companies rules for middle earth from GW, so could be a perfect time to look at some warband sized games. Definitely up for giving Dragon Rampant a try sometime too.

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stephen Pugh - 15-12-2017

Cheers Stuart
I was looking at battle companies the other day. At £25 it could be a modest buy in.
If the other LOTR players here could let me know what factions they have it'd help with picking a warband.

I was thinking of Rohan, but if there is a load of Rohan players I'd prefer to pick a faction that players rarely come up against Smile

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stuart - 16-12-2017

Just had notification that my copy of Battle Companies is on the way. Plenty of potential there I think, and I do like the skirmish sized games.

I’d been think along the lines of Rohan myself, or perhaps a ranger warband of some sort.

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Simian - 16-12-2017

Always good with skirmish games!

Plenty of options for games, ASoBaH, frostgrave etc! Stuart and I have played a lot!

(16-12-2017, 12:12 PM)Stuart Wrote: Just had notification that my copy of Battle Companies is on the way.

That was quick...

[attachment=2299]

(16-12-2017, 02:30 PM)Simian Wrote: Always good with skirmish games!

Plenty of options for games, ASoBaH, frostgrave etc! Stuart and I have played a lot!

Picked up a few more since then too Big Grin

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stephen Pugh - 17-12-2017

I had know Idea they were delivering them yet Stuart.

Well that settles it. I'll order a copy this Friday!

Could you list the Evil warbands from the book. It would be great to order some minis as well.

Cheers Stuart :-)

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stuart - 17-12-2017

(17-12-2017, 11:45 AM)Stephen Pugh Wrote: Could you list the Evil warbands from the book. It would be great to order some minis as well.

No problem (I was supposed to be saving it for Christmas Day so this has given me an excuse for a sneak peak!):

Evil Warbands
  • Mordor
  • Isengard
  • Harad
  • Far Harad
  • Moria
  • Warg Riders
  • The Easterlings
  • Dol Guldur
  • Goblin-Town
  • Angmar
  • Corsairs of Umbar

Let me know if you need more info on what’s allowed in a given warband.

RE: Getting back to the hobby in 2018 - Stephen Pugh - 17-12-2017

Mordor looks good.
It turns out I've been paid early, so I've ordered the book and a box of Orks :-)