Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
The Last Kingdom - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: The Society (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lounge Bar (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: The Last Kingdom (/showthread.php?tid=2663)

The Last Kingdom - Stuart - 09-10-2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/lastkingdom

T.V. adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon-era book series kicks off on BBC2 on October 22nd.

Quote:Set in the year 872, when many of the separate kingdoms of what we now know as England have fallen to the invading Vikings, the great kingdom of Wessex has been left standing alone and defiant under the command of King Alfred the Great.

Against this turbulent backdrop lives our hero, Uhtred. Born the son of a Saxon nobleman, he is orphaned by the Vikings and then kidnapped and raised as one of their own. Forced to choose between the country of his birth and the people of his upbringing, his loyalties are ever tested. What is he - Saxon or Viking? On a quest to claim his birthright, Uhtred must tread a dangerous path between both sides if he is to play his part in the birth of a new nation and, ultimately, seek to recapture his ancestral lands.

RE: The Last Kingdom - jaqenhgar - 09-10-2015

Cool, thanks for posting Stu, will be watching this

RE: The Last Kingdom - Stuart - 09-10-2015

A colleague of mine is a big fan of the books. I've got the first one kicking around somewhere, but yet to read.

RE: The Last Kingdom - Agincourt - 13-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 06:14 PM)Stuart Wrote: A colleague of mine is a big fan of the books. I've got the first one kicking around somewhere, but yet to read.

Yes I have just about everything Bernard Cornwell has written too.

It's a great series and still expanding. I will be interested to see what they've done with it... Can't wait!!!

RE: The Last Kingdom - Embolden - 23-11-2015

(13-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Agincourt Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 06:14 PM)Stuart Wrote: A colleague of mine is a big fan of the books. I've got the first one kicking around somewhere, but yet to read.

It's a great series and still expanding. I will be interested to see what they've done with it... Can't wait!!!

I've not read the books, but the TV series has been VERY good.

What are your thoughts?

RE: The Last Kingdom - Agincourt - 23-11-2015

(23-11-2015, 06:44 PM)Embolden Wrote:
(13-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Agincourt Wrote:

I've not read the books, but the TV series has been VERY good.

What are your thoughts?

I have enjoyed it so far. Dramatisation usually a bit different to reading the books, but so far very enjoyable and close enough. They have got the characters off very well. Would like to see a bit more wider battle scene. Hoping they go on to do the next couple books.

RE: The Last Kingdom - Stuart - 26-11-2015

I have some catching up to do on this - only seen the first episode so far. A colleague of mine who is a big fan of the books echoes Paul's view on the battle scenes in that they don't really live up to the scale depicted in the book (admittedly hard to do on the BBC's budget). Seems pretty good from what I've seen so far though, and it's inspired my wife to start reading the first book in the series.

RE: The Last Kingdom - Gareth - 30-11-2015

They are currently sat hogging hard drive space, and probably will do until the New Year. On a scale of 1-10, if I need the space how disappointed would I be if I had to delete these?

RE: The Last Kingdom - Agincourt - 30-11-2015

(30-11-2015, 10:54 AM)Gareth Wrote: They are currently sat hogging hard drive space, and probably will do until the New Year. On a scale of 1-10, if I need the space how disappointed would I be if I had to delete these?

I know a few folk who had not been watching them, have since, with prodding, had a look and now thing it's good... Keep em...