Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
Stuart's Log of Hobby - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: The Hobby (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Personal Hobby Logs (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: Stuart's Log of Hobby (/showthread.php?tid=1259)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Stuart - Stuart - 18-03-2013

Not much over the weekend, but did get some white primer on a couple of warjacks with a view to giving them the quickshade treatment. I might give it a go on a couple of old space marines first though - I'm interested to see how it turns out on models that are primarily armoured.

I also outsourced the placement of some flock and static grass on my Viking bases to Luke - it seems daft but I don't have his knack for making the placement look natural.

RE: Stuart - Stuart - 31-03-2013

(18-03-2013, 01:13 PM)Stuart Wrote: I might give it a go on a couple of old space marines first though - I'm interested to see how it turns out on models that are primarily armoured.

Did a very quick experiment tonight with a couple of said marines: white primer and enchanted blue basecoat with boltgun metal and tin bitz on the weapon and backback...

[attachment=639]

...then quickshade - strong tone on the left and dark tone on the right:

[attachment=640]

Very little to tell between them at the moment, certainly not from the photos anyway. You have to look very closely at the models to see the blacker lines produced by the dark tone. I'll see if there is any change as they dry.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 31-03-2013

Also meant to say that I've switched to using Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt Varnish to take off the post-quickshade gloss. Picked up a can from the Warlord Games chaps at Gloucester MiniCon as I was running low on Testors Dullcote, and the Army Painter stuff seemed to be good value for money. Results seem comparable.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 06-04-2013

Painted up the pair of Cygnar 'jacks that I primed a couple of weeks ago, and gave them the quickshade treatment. Not looking too bad.

Big Rob - I'll bring your tin of dark tone quickshade back this week! Will probably pick up a tin myself from Salute in a couple of weeks.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 29-04-2013

Had a bit of a sort through of a box full of bits that I thought might come in handy for scenery. Found some polystyrene packing that would make a great building for Necromunda, so I've given it a rough coating of filler aiming for a concrete appearance.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 08-09-2013

After a long absence the smell of spray paint is again prevalent in the air. Alas it's Luke and not myself who is making hobby progress.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 20-09-2013

Need to make a determined effort to get painting again - haven't picked up a brush since early April.

Priorities are:
  • more Delaque for my Necromunda crew
  • my two Ronin crews
  • repaint my Bushido faction
  • some of the Reaper Bones figures (just enough for some nice SBH warbands)
  • some Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff
  • perhaps a handful of Space Marines to experiment with camo paint schemes.

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - manrogue - 20-09-2013

I know the feeling, had a big sort out to re-arrange my painting area and built some shelfs in the Wargaming cupboard. Haven't touched a brush since. Tongue

Though i have begun to build the massive Dragon.....

Edit - Did you see that they have added smaller scale camo markings in that anarchy models kickstarter?

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - Stuart - 20-09-2013

(20-09-2013, 10:39 AM)manrogue Wrote: I know the feeling, had a big sort out to re-arrange my painting area and built some shelfs in the Wargaming cupboard. Haven't touched a brush since. Tongue

Know what you mean, we had a massive "tidy up" where the hobby stuff was consigned to the study, and haven't been able to get near it since!

(20-09-2013, 10:39 AM)manrogue Wrote: Though i have begun to build the massive Dragon.....

Really looking forward to seeing out that turns out - amazing value for money.

(20-09-2013, 10:39 AM)manrogue Wrote: Edit - Did you see that they have added smaller scale camo markings in that anarchy models kickstarter?

I meant to have another look at that - will check it out now...

RE: Stuart's Hobby Log - manrogue - 20-09-2013

All going well, i plan to get the Airbrush out at the weekend to have a play again. That is the play subject. Tongue

Though i do need to finish off the 70% Riptide......