Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
Stuart's Log of Hobby - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: The Hobby (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Personal Hobby Logs (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: Stuart's Log of Hobby (/showthread.php?tid=1259)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Agincourt - 03-09-2014

Why didn't you like your latest attempt?

As far as I can see your general painting style/system lends itself to good wargaming standard. Your figures always look good to me. Smile

I'd get them painted in your usual style. Wink

Personally (I have so much painting to do) I am now happy to keep it relatively simple and get the main colours on, shade them, with decent base - and STOP. Later I will come back and add some tarting up. My SAGA lot are pretty basic and I do intend to come back and pretty them up. BUT my intent is not to strip and start again, but add to the basic stuff I have already applied. That's the theory anyway. Tongue

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 12:51 PM)Agincourt Wrote: Why didn't you like your latest attempt?

As far as I can see your general painting style/system lends itself to good wargaming standard. Your figures always look good to me. Smile

I'd get them painted in your usual style. Wink

Personally (I have so much painting to do) I am now happy to keep it relatively simple and get the main colours on, shade them, with decent base - and STOP. Later I will come back and add some tarting up. My SAGA lot are pretty basic and I do intend to come back and pretty them up. BUT my intent is not to strip and start again, but add to the basic stuff I have already applied. That's the theory anyway. Tongue

I was aiming for my usual style but missed by a mile, bit like that friendly fire incident Wink

It just came down to rushing though - I hadn't left myself enough time anyway, but the Vallejo paints I was using had separated and that took some time to sort out leaving me with even less brush time. There was also a bit of an accident with an exploding paint pot towards the end of the evening. The end result was lacking and didn't measure up - the basics weren't there and didn't provide a foundation to build on for tidying up, and the application of quickshade limits what can be done later to a certain extent.

I think some figures are also more forgiving than others - I don't tend to tackle anything extravagant anyway, but my SAGA Vikings are pretty straightforward to paint with solid blocks of colour that lend themselves to quickshade when they are applied watered down. The paras are a lot more fiddly with an increased level of detail, and in particular the desired camo pattern requires a little more freehand skill than my painting-my-numbers technique allows for Smile

I'm trying to aim to play with painted figures wherever possible as that gives me impetus to actually get a splash of colour of things. I've got a couple of weeks to crack on with the paras before our next game so I'm confident that (if I don't leave it to the last minute again) I can get them done to a standard that I'm happy with.

Watch this space Big Grin

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Simian - 03-09-2014

you have a IHMN company to do Stu! the circus are waiting

i like your style of painting, works well on the tabletop.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 03-09-2014

Cheers Ben Smile

I've got a set of Kingdom of Britannia figures from Dystopian Legions that would make a good company in lieu of getting some Victorian Guard from Victoria Miniatures I think. But I do need to come up with a more colourful company akin to your circus troop - thinking perhaps something with an "eastern" flavour from the Sleeping Dragon, Rising Sun supplement for which I could use some Bushido or Ronin miniatures, or maybe something from the Kensei range.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 07-09-2014

Grabbed half an hour to assemble and paint up an additional figure for the Joms this weekend. Just basing detail left to do, but happy with how this one has turned out.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 19-09-2014

Pre-ordered this a while ago and it turned up yesterday.

[attachment=1260]

It covers historical gaming from ancients through to WWII.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 11-11-2014

Really need to supplement my existing 500pts worth of British Paras for Bolt Action. Can't seem to track down any plastics, but Steve recommended the metal figures at North Star's Artizan Designs in addition to those available from Warlord. Will look to pick up a few from both places I think.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - actungpanzer - 14-11-2014

maybe just get the commandos plastics?im sure they worked in concert with the paras at some point during the war?

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - DAGGER - 15-11-2014

6th British Airborne worked with most units in the eastern lodgement area astride the Orne from D Day onwards. Not stretching it much to use the two side by side in Normandy based scenarios.

RE: Stuart's Log of Hobby - Stuart - 18-11-2014

Thanks chaps, that also seems match one of the suggested force configurations in the BA rulebook. Will pick up the Commando plastic box set from Warlord.