Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Small 1,000pt Tournament!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gentlefolk of the Redditch Wargaming Society, I bring you an offer of a 1,000pt Warhammer 40k Tournament.

We could either run it in a league format or a standard ''knock out/ stage based'' tournament.

Please respond to this thread if you would be interested in participating and ideas towards the endeavour.

Pending success of this we could run this as a 2-monthly thing or alternate between individual tournaments and 2-player team tournaments.

Understandably the logistics behind this would need some work but if enough people are interested I am sure we can arrange something of the likes!

Let me know.

Khronic/ Dan
Rob has run both leagues and tournaments at the club, both of which were very well run.

It is worth scouring them for some ideas-
http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=1676

I will point out the main issues last time was a couple of guys dropping out after a couple of games and that some of us are super competitive (Myself, Nick, Rob for example running tournament level lists) and others not so much, leading to some very one sided games. I don't mean this as a negative, just if i am playing in a tournament/league, i am playing to win with as competitive a list as possible. So no moaning when i bring triptide at 1000 pts. Tongue

Might be worth splitting into 2, one for fluffy gamers and one for competitive?

With 7th being the beast it is what are you allowing?

Lord of Wars? Super heavies? As many codices as you like?
Thanks for pointing it out!

I think that is probably a good idea and to save complicating things it might be worth making the way Rob's tournaments have been run the club standard to save complicating rules one way or another.

The two leagues idea sounds good to be honest with each player getting the choice of entering either.

Competitive (League Alpha)
Fluffy/ Less Competitive (League Omega)

On initial thoughts:

Primary and ONE Ally detachment
(Codex Supplements are allowed I.E. Chaos Space Marines and Crimson Slaughter Codex Supplement)
No Super Heavys/ Lords of War
Flyers are allowed
Rob's set up will need to be modified as it was written with 6th in mind (before lords of war or Imperial knights were even a thing) and things have changed a lot since then!

For example, Lords of war are a core part of the game now, as are knights. I have no issue with either being allowed (i like to face competitive lists!) but are others okay with it?

Also with the change to the force org now, how are you planning on running it?

Single detachment or multiple?

Allies allowed? How many?

Unbound or battleforged?

Just worth clarifying all these things before setting anything up. More than happy to help where i can, i just lack the motivation to run anything like this Tongue
I'm quite happy to run it, no problems there but will need to bounce things around off people to get the initial setup done!

Primary Detachment and ONE Ally Detachment. (Codex Supplements allowed)
Battleforged.

I'd say having a brief skim over the Escalation book Super heavys and lords of war should be allowed.
They seem to offer both a handicap and an advantage, especially at 1,000pts where you could potentially be dumping half your points into one model.
The escalation warlord traits are also worth mentioning:

Escalation Warlord Traits:
Note that these are traits you can take if your opponent has a Lord of War in their list.
1. Maximize Firepower: Warlord and unit's weapons are twin linked when shooting at lord of war
2. Super-heavy Hunter: Warlord has preferred enemy (Lord of War)
3. Slayer of Giants: In close combat with a Lord of War, Warlord gains armourbane and fleshbane
4. Uncanny Defense. all rolls made on the destroyer table suffer a -1
5. Kill Mission: units in the army arriving from reserves do not scatter if placed within 6" of an enemy lord of war
6. Perfect Volley: shots from warlord and unit have rending are considered AP1 when targetting a lord of war.

(May need clarification here)
Lol, its cool just thought it was worth clarifying everything. Smile

So roughly (stolen and modified off Robs last league)-
Quote:RedWarSoc League III

Army size: 1000pts! And not a single point more.

Army Lists – people are free to pick from any of the mainstream Codexs including White Dwarf, Lords of wars are allowed. Lists must be battle forged with one primary detachment and 1 allied detachment allowed.

Fortifications – are in full effect, choose as per Stronghold assault

Missions – missions will be selected from the core rules, each fixture will be given a set mission.

Scoring – there will be a 5-3-1 Group Points system in use
Win the mission = 5GPs
Mission drawn = 3GP
Lose = 1GPs

Winning the Mission: If you win the mission as per the rulebook you gain 5GPs (This means winning on Primary and Secondary objectives combined)

League Bonus points:
Table your opponent +1 GP
I'm in for this as I enjoyed the last one.
Count me in. I listen to the Forge the Narrative podcast a lot as well, and they preach about playing "no preservatives added" 40K with no restrictions, and balance through mission design. The missions are available here, and I think they're the most recent ones. Might be worth a look?

I think you're right about including Lords of War. At 1000 pts it's a big gamble to sink your points into.
Won't including LOW's lead to massive Rock/paper/scissor games?

If you take LOW's to normal armies you wipe them
If you take Hard Counters to LOW's you wipe them
If you take normal armies to LOW Hard Counters you wipe them
I don't see it myself but could be wrong. I fancy my chances against most LoW now that D weapons have been nerfed to what i see as an acceptable level. Plus at 1000 points you are putting a lot of points into them, limiting your obj sec units.
You can also Glance them to death quite easy.

A Imperial knight army would be a bigger threat than LoW as it is 3 super heavies (unplayable at 1000 point as you need three knights minimum for a detachment and cheapest in 370).

Only one that i don't fancy my chances against is Transcendent C'tan S9 T9 W6 and 4++ is nasty enough but he can also put out loads of template attacks as well.

Want to see what i mean check him out in escalation in my dropbox.
Pages: 1 2