Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Firing more than one weapon in overwatch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One for Rob as we was talking about this the other day with regards battlesuits and if they could fire both weapons in overwatch, found the thread on dakka-

Page 21 - Resolve Overwatch:
"An Overwatch Attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on."

Additionally, under Weapons (Page 51), it says:
"Unless otherwise stated, if a model has more than one Shooting weapon, he must choose which one to shoot - he cannot fire both in the same Shooting phase."

Being the Overwatch fires all the normal rules for shooting (albeit, snapshots only), it is held by the one-weapon-unless-stated rule.

Meaning that most models can fire 1 weapon.
Models with two pistols can fire both pistols.
MCs and Battlesuits can fire 2 weapons.
Riptides can fire 3 weapons.
Walkers can fire all weapons.
Still have to check this one out myself :p

Although a quick check of the Tau Codex, Multitracker states "can shoot an additonal weapon each shooting phase" which is strange wording as technically there is only one shooting phase they can shoot.... I think it will come down to the wording of the Assault/Overwatch Rules, from what I can remember it states shooting phase (like quoted above), so I think it's 2 weapons... would double check with a TO before going to a tournament as I think the norm is 1 weapon, none stopped me firing one weapon anyway... but who would? LMAO! :p
Yeah, reading up earlier through the thread was a minefield, but RAW written it is apparently correct as-
Page 21 - Resolve Overwatch:
"An Overwatch Attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on."
And multi tracker states-
"A model with a multi-tracker can fire an additional weapon in each Shooting phase."

Intercepting is the newly debated one lol.
Lol just on way to footy so no rulebook, technically... Shooting attack and phase would be different :p, will read later lol
If it's not a shooting phase, there's no rule restricting models to firing one weapon. Tongue

Edit - bit more of interest-
Page 51 brb " unless otherwise stated, if a model has more than 1 shooting weapon, he must choose which one to shoot- he can not shoot both in the same SHOOTING PHASE"

This is the only restriction for shooting only 1 weapon, and as can clearly be seen, it is limited to the shooting phase.

So on to "unless otherwise stated"

Page 48 brb. Monstrous creatures can fire up to 2 of their weapons each shooting phase..."

Tau multitracker " a model with a multitracker can fire an additional weapon in each shooting phase"

Is overwatch a shooting phase?

If yes, then the above rules apply.

If no, then the restriction to firing only 1 weapon does not apply.

Either way MC's and models with multitrackers can fire 2 weapons.
My opinion has always been, whatever you can fire in the shooting phase can be fired on overwatch. Same as intercept! The rules say 'a weapon with the interceptor rule' can shoot at models coming from reserve. If a model eg riptide has intercept, all its weapons can fire. So if a riptide intercepts with sms it can fire its ion in the turn after and vice versa.
Still not had chance to check yet :p, sounds like it's pretty obvious from the quotes Vince stated above, they can fire both in overwatch, as it states shooting phase in overwatch and multi-tracker.

Guess I was doing myself down! Sad
PG21: An overwatch is resolved just like a normal shooting attack.....

Seems cut and dry to me, but then it goes on to say.....

PG21: (albeit one resolved in the enemy's assault phase)....

Okay, muddied water as it goes on to say LIKE and Assault Phase...

As above, multi-tracker states can shoot additional weapon in EACH Shooting PHASE, Overwatch states Shooting Attack Albeit in ASSAULT phase...

But then why would the Multi-Tracker rule state in EACH shooting phase??

Lol clear as mud... I'm happy to play it as my opponent plays it.
Fully admit this poorly worded (off GW? never! Tongue) but a key point is this-
Page 51 brb " unless otherwise stated, if a model has more than 1 shooting weapon, he must choose which one to shoot- he can not shoot both in the same SHOOTING PHASE"

Unless you are following the shooting phase restrictions, you are not actually restricted to shooting one weapon for everyone. Which means a standard tactical squad of 10 marines can fire 30 bolter shots (20 off rapid fire bolters and 10 off bolt pistols and sarg can also throw a Krak just for laughs).
(28-02-2014, 10:07 AM)manrogue Wrote: [ -> ]Fully admit this poorly worded (off GW? never! Tongue) but a key point is this-

Unless you are following the shooting phase restrictions, you are not actually restricted to shooting one weapon for everyone. Which means a standard tactical squad of 10 marines can fire 30 bolter shots (20 off rapid fire bolters and 10 off bolt pistols and sarg can also throw a Krak just for laughs).

Just to play the big wooden spoon mixing things up... In the overwatch rules it states like a normal shooting attack, albeit in the assault phase, the multi-tracker specifically states can shooting an additional weapon in each shooting phase.

Overwatch is not done the shooting phase, its done in the assault phase, so Overwatch is like a shooting attack, ie you follow the rules for shooting your unit, the multi tracker rules don't specially state a "model when shooting" it states "when firing in each Shooting Phase"... Tongue

Not a clear cut, I'm happy to play it either way Big Grin
Pages: 1 2