Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Dataslates- okay or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So before i go mad and order in loads of broadsides for christmas, whats the crack with dataslates?

Are we allowing them at the club?

To be honest i am not massively fussed, but would like to know before i plan out my Enclaves Gunline Tau list i plan to switch to next year.

Discussion below and will go with majority decision.
What do you mean by dataslates??
Dataslates would now mean i could field a storm raven and 2 storm talons in my Dark angels force. could be fun.

to be honest i dont mind one way or the other....i will reverse that if Cypher appears and i can field him. them im all for it.
(06-12-2013, 10:56 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by dataslates??

Have a read here fella-
http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=1843
Hmmm, I've voted nope, will go into more detail later as I'm at work...
Boo buzz killer Rob! Tongue

Looking forward to the discussion later Big Grin!

I'll drop my feelings on this below, not designed as a pop at you Rob or anyone but just to get the discussion flowing! Smile

I've got to be honest, i see these as no different to Allies (the thing i hate most about 6th lol). I can see why people don't like them, as they give you free bonuses and allow you to do silly combo's. But is any worse that what people do with alllies at present? Is it any worse than what people plan to do with Digi Inquisition codex, ally an army to your main force and then use inquisition codex to get Coteaz in your list? So 3 different armies in 1 list!

You have the whole landscape changing this weekend with the 2 new codex's that allow super heavies and new fortification choices into normal 40k games. Do we ban them as well?
i feel like gw have gone out of control and ruined the balance (what little there was) of the game
i think its if two people want that tourny feel then yes but otherwise no
I said no because...

Well... Firstly each player to their own.. I don't think we should dissallow anything at the club in general, as I think it should be up to the players of each game if they want to allow dataslates, forge world, Warlords, digital codexes etc or not as the case maybe. I personally wouldn't mind giving them ago.

I have a number of issues with the Digital releases... not all of us are lucky enough to own a tablet/ipad so how the hell are they supposed to find out what armies can do...? You can read on the various forums etc, but they are full of people who over react or just plain fail at the game and/or cannot read the rules properly.. so you can never really know whats the truth or not unless you can find access to these.

Cost, where do we draw the line? An example given, you can have a Marine army allied with Guard, add an Inquisitor from the Inquisition Codex, Dataslate Storm Wing and then sprinkle some Forge World in for laughs... now how much is that going to cost in Codexes alone? I'm gonna say £120+ if you're buying from GW.

As an opponent to play this, you may even know whats coming and still not fully understand whats happening, but how are you supposed to grasp all this in the 30second before a game begins when your opponent flips out 6 codexes... your opponent can run you through the list and what everything does, but your opponent has a massive advantage over you, unless you're doing something similar of course Wink, but thats what GW does. The can be fairly complex once you get down to army list level and combo's (just look at my beast pack or vinces Farsight bomb), why make it more complex?

Balance... where is the balance?? I mean all codexes have different powers, thats a given, all Codexes go through the cycle over being the top tier codex (unless your Chaos...), then that power slowely decrease as each new codex comes out to replace them at the top, some codexes even come back with certain builds that are good at a certain time (look at Nids at the start of 6th). I think Dataslates just break the game even more, one of if not the most powerful codexes just got more powerful, but GW are still producing more, so this power shift could equal out but I doubt it.

I don't like formations one bit, it's why I hate Apococrap, I don't want to take 17 Wave Serpents and 37 Guardian squads to make a Wing of some description which gives all the Guardians 2+ saves, their guns don't need to roll to hit and instant kill AP1 shots and auto pen with the Wave Serpents Shields becoming Str10 Ap1 and roll 10d6 per shield with a re-roll, but if that rocks your boat then go for it, it's just not for me.

To summarise... I don't like dataslates, they give an advantage to players not through being good at list building but because they have access to better technology, cost, for some people, spending money on the rules, models and core codex is their hobby budget, but someone who has deeper pockets can go purchase a dataslate (I know they're only a couple of quid, but its the suppliments/plus other stuff that take the wee), due to limited access some may not of even heard of a dataslate before, let alone played against one so how are you supposed to be prepared for it? Finally balance, I think they will massively unbalanced the game, some armies will get awesome Dataslates some will be pure crap (look at the Tau one vs the Marine one?? - wow your army is all flying... well let me move and run my 12 Broadsides up, then smart missile the scouts to death turn1, "oh you're tabled before your reserves arrived did you like your Dataslate formation?" :p... lol).

Wow... not sure where all the came from... but you get my point I hope.
Lol I just read JJ's post, I think that sums one of my points in a line....

I think we should house rule how long a digital release has to be out to use it without having to tell people that we're using it and how much we have to make people aware or not of what we're taking...

Say for example, if you're using a Dataslate that was released Tuesday morning before you're game and a Warlord from the black library thats been out a week over the weekend, could you use those in the game you've had planned for a week or two? Or keep those a nice surprise for your opponent on the night who might not have a clue either of those are options?

Or house rule something has to have been out a few days/weeks before to use it and you must say you're planning and using so and so Dataslate and Warlord XYX, just so people can actually read up on them and hove a clue about whats going on.

Or we can leave it as is, player preference, some people like to keep things to their chest and others are quite open while some are a between.. it's a hard one if their is rule to say you must tell your opponent what you're using.
All valid points to be fair Rob, was slightly playing devils advocate. Tongue

One of the things i have discussed with someone else is what he is doing, 2 of supplements and that is it. So for example, Tau Codex and farsight enclave allies or SM codex and a dataslate formation.

The balance in 40k has gone out of whack a fair bit recently, i mean 2++ with rerolls should never be possible (in my opinion).

GW's response to 2++ re-roll?

Lets add D weapons to normal 40k. Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2